1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What next

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by Alf, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Alf

Alf SC Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Dear All,
    It's been a while, and it's going to be a while more; it happens.
    And when I don't shoot, I read but not write. But I'm going to shoot quite a lot in a few weeks, when I'm expected to get down from the plane with my dearest in Bangkok and head overland to Angkor a someplace more, via train.

This means I have a question for you all old hands:
    Given that the epl3, the 20mm Linux, the 45mm Olympus are already in the bag, what should I buy?

• vf-3 EVF. For the sunny moments and for manual focusing with the Konica 50/1,4
    • the Samyanf 7,5 I am lusting after since I saw it

• a little LED light to do fill-in
    • nothing

Thank you all
    Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    First, I can't wait to see your photos of such an exotic place I fear I'll never see with my own eyes.

Secondly, I owned the Samyang and never learned to master such a wide angle. It's a totally different way of seeing. If you do decide to go ultra-wide I would suggest to buy it soon to try to learn to use it properly.

I feel like the EVF is a GREAT addition to the PEN cameras. The VF-2 I had was a joy to use and it really helps out when shooting in sunny situations. If you decide to buy the viewfinder, I would suggest the inexpensive optional deeper eye cup. It really helps to completely surround the eye and more fully block out the light and immerse in the scene.

And I never compared the VF-2 and VF-3, but from everything I've read, the VF-2 has much better resolution. It doesn't lock into place, but the one I had never fell off,.......even taking it out of a bag. Just something to consider.

I have no experience with LEDs, and the last option of nothing would be fine, too. Your shots are always great, so I don't think you NEED anything.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like Like x 2
  3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Forget the VF3, get the VF2, its so much better in terms of quality. It might not have a lock on it but functionally its streets ahead of the VF3. Also, you can get an eyecup if you need extra light exclusion.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ggibson

ggibson SC Regular

Sep 14, 2011
    Go for the Olympus 9-18mm mZD. Fantastic walk-around during the day. Compliments your other lenses perfectly.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Alf

Alf SC Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    In the end it was the tiniest fill-in LED and a light blue bag, and a ticket on the afternoon train south, tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Bon voyage, Alf to you and your dearest! Can't wait to live vicariously via your photos!

• Like Like x 1