What photography events have you gone to lately?

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
My cousin asked me about a month ago if I wanted to go to the Wet Plate Photography winter workshop at Glessner House Museum in Chicago. This (Top Entry.

Winter Workshop: Wet Plate Photography
Saturday March 23, 2013 from 1:00 to 3:00pm
$10 per person
R.S.V.P. to 312-326-1480
Glessner House Museum Coach House
Rediscover the art of early photography with modern-day tin-typist Steve Ingram.
Learn about mid-nineteenth century photographic techniques, how to date and preserve period images, and watch Steve demonstrate the wet plate process.
An exhibit of early photographs c. 1845-1865 will be on display.

And I have to say it was fairly interesting from his history of the inventors of photography, William Henry Fox Talbot [England] & Louis Daguerre [France] to showing us step by step how to do our own Cyanotype [He gave me the one he made today :) ]. It was good to hang out with my cousin again and good that we could both indulge our hobby as well. Steve enjoys wet plate photographing civil war re-enactments as well as indulging in some personal projects like his shoot with the Champaign Firefighters on the tenth anniversary of 9/11. You can see his book here. I got one. At any rate along with pdh here on S.C., Steve has offered to give me some developing pointers if necessary so I can stop fretting over sending the negatives out [and getting disasters back]. Btw, there's just something magical about holding a real tintype in your hand that trending photo apps can't match.

What photography events have you gone to lately? Museum, workshops, celebrations? And what was your experience? Were you inspired when you left?

hmm well I went to the opening of a pack of film the other day :rolleyes:

short of that, I did go to this http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate...n/peter-fraser
( There is a "resource room" at TStI containing reference material pertaining to their current exhibition. I enjoyed leafing through the Eggleston books (I believe Fraser worked very briefly with Eggleston), though I chose not to look at any more of Fraser's work ... )

I wanted to go on a short course on Polymer Photogravure (Photo Polymer Etching Printmaking Course with Marty Grimmer) but couldn't do that and go on holiday, which is a bit pissy. I was supposed to go last year but ended up having to go into hospickal for my kidney op. I am dooomed never to learn photogravure ...

Three films at the Goethe Institute here in DC, one on the Bechers, one on Cartier-Bresson and one on Eggleston. An exhibition of new German photography, also at the GI, another on new Austrian photography, at the Austrian Cultural Institute and a wildlife photography exhibit at the Smithsonian. The Bechers and CB were inspiring, the Eggleston a lost less so. The two exhibits of new photography were the usual combination of genuinely refreshing and tediously pretentious and the wildlife exhibit was stunning to look at but not insipiring me to take up wildlife photography.

Of them all the C-B film was the best thing. It's called The Impassioned Eye and was made shortly before his death. A lot of it is just the camera trained on him as he looks through prints of his own images with brief comments on them. I was particularly taken by his emphasis on geometry as an aspect of image-making. Well worth watching if you can track it down.

@ Luke: Be sure to!

@ Paul: Isn't that the way of things though. But you are good at gathering your information online so I bet you could learn on your own :)

@ Olli: Wow.. you are an active one!

ALSO for anyone interested and close enough...

ANSEL ADAMS: WESTERN EXPOSURE (in Peoria, Illinois)
April 13–September 22, 2013
Western Exposure comprises more than 120 original prints and related items from the collection of Michael and Jeanne Falk Adams, the son and daughter-in-law of the artist. The collection focuses on the California works of Adams, including his iconic landscapes, as well as agricultural and urban images, portraits, and memorabilia.

Exhibit Highlights:
· Only museum in the midwest to have the exhibit
· Unique exhibit: Peoria & Texas are only places to show this exhibit (aside from California) The 2002 Art Institute in Chicago show displayed different pieces.
· 120 original works of art by Adams, some of which have rarely (if ever) been seen publicly and may never be on display again. Our CEO and President has a personal relationship with Adams children allowing us to secure this unique exhibit.
· The images span the entirety of the photographer’s career and illustrate his lifelong fascination with the natural world. The exhibit also highlights Ansel Adams other interests/accomplishments (author/ pianist/ preservationist)
ANSEL ADAMS: Western Exposure Opens April 13, Details at Home - Peoria Riverfront Museum

For more information about this new museum or about scheduling a group visit, please contact:
Jennifer Shields, Marketing Team
Peoria Riverfront Museum
O: 309-693-2413
C: 309-303-0835
jshields@peoriariverfrontmuseum.org

Back