Fuji What SD card do you use, and does it help with x100 write speeds??

I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 8GB card, with a rated speed of 45 MB/s. Improved the write delays a lot. I believe that it is important to format the card in the camera (which I always do anyway).

I use the same card, but a 16GB version. Its notably faster than any other card I've tried in that camera. The write times on the X100 are slow, there's just no getting around it. But that card helps a lot. And shooting jpegs helps a lot too. Raw isn't too bad, but raw+jpeg is baaaaaad. So I shoot jpeg and occasionally hit the raw button to get a particularly challenging shot in both formats. But the jpegs almost always come out better than anything I can do with the raws and have enough latitude for whatever PP I choose to do. The only camera I shoot jpeg with once raw support is available.

-Ray

Good question and great timing. I've always bought Sandisk Extreme IIIs (Class 6), which have been fine in my dSLRs and compacts to date, but I'd be keen to know whether, and which, Class 10s make a significant difference to the X100 write times. I'l be watching this thread very keenly indeed.

I am leaning towards the sandisk pro like what bilzmale suggests. I found this post: Fuji X100 – Write speeds « J O N A T H A N JK . C O M

Which has the following table:

Single shot mode 1 RAW frame * – * A = 12.1s * *B = 8.4s * *C = 6.5s * * *D = 2.7s
Single shot mode 3 RAW frames – * A = 22.1s * B = 13.4s * C = 11.4s * *D = 5.9s
Bust mode (8 RAW frames) * * * * *- * A = 44.6s * B = 29.8s *C = 20.2s **D =15.8

A =*Sandisk 8GB Class 4
B =*Trancsend 8B Class 6
C =*SanDisk Extreme 30MB/sec (SDHC) CLASS 10
D=*SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I (8GB,45Mbps)

So I shoot jpeg and occasionally hit the raw button to get a particularly challenging shot in both formats. But the jpegs almost always come out better than anything I can do with the raws and have enough latitude for whatever PP I choose to do. The only camera I shoot jpeg with once raw support is available.

-Ray

Agree entirely: the X100 JPG engine is excellent. I only use the RAW button for those shots where you anticipate WB or other tricky problems.

BigTam

I picked up a Sandisk Extreme Pro and the difference is amazing! However, I was going from a very slow card so I am not sure whether the difference is as noticeable going from a class 6 to a UHS Class 1 card.

If you go to this link, you can see a comparison chart of write speeds, showing a range of 6Mb/s to 80. Bottom line, unless you are shooting raw, there is no significant difference between the 20Mb/s cards and the 80Mb/s ones.

The chart is in German. "Einzelbild" means single image, "8 Bilder in Serie" means 8 images in a series, "Alle Angaben in Sekunden" means all times in seconds.

I was ready to go buy some faster cards until I saw this...

http://www.fuji-x100-forum.de/...bgeschwindigkeit-von-sd-karten-der-x100.html

I use a pair of 45mb/s Sandisk UHS-1 Extreme Pro cards for day to day shooting and would say that while they was a step up from a generic slower SDHC card I initially tried in the camera, the X100 still writes far more slowly than my three year old DSLR so I'm not at all surprised to learn of the German site's conclusions. Fujifilm needs to improve the buffering and write speed in its next generation X cameras.

I have just compared my "old" Toshiba class 10 8GB card (supposed to be 20 or 33 MB/s) with a newly acquired Sandisk extreme pro UHS-I, 8GB 95 MB/s.
Rough, partial comparison: formatted the cards and shot the same subject at 5 frames/s. Time taken from pushing the shutter to the moment the led quits.
Toshiba: 34"
Sandisk: 18"

Best
Alessandro

Sorry, forgot: RAW+JPG

Back