Film What to do with a Summicron?

One more thing I noticed after spending a bit more time looking at the images was (surprise surprise) just how superb the Summicron really is ... the quality of the lens stands out on the E-P2, but even on these lo-res scans, the sharpness across the whole frame is quite remarkable ... the only other equipment I own which is as good in this respect is the Sigma DP2s ...

Couldn't agree more about the Summicron quality as every day I shoot with my almost 40 year old Summicron-C 40mm f2 on my GXR I can't believe the sharpness.

I really dream now of a fast "affordable" lens in the 35mm - 45mm as I'm finding my A12 28mm lens a bit wide at times and the 40 Sum is a bit long at 60mm at times. The 25mm Voigt is not fast enough and the 25mm Zeiss is getting closer at 2.8. Of course, if I won the lottery and I still had money left over after paying everything off, I'd buy one of these:

Leica 24mm f/1.4 Summilux-M Aspherical Manual Focus 11-601 B&H

Have you used any 35mm lenses on your GXR? I've used both 35mm and 40mm lenses on my NEX, and while my preference is wide normal like you, a 35mm lens works for me whereas 40mm feels too tight.

Your options for affordable lenses would increase greatly with 35mm lenses.

Couldn't agree more about the Summicron quality as every day I shoot with my almost 40 year old Summicron-C 40mm f2 on my GXR I can't believe the sharpness.

I really dream now of a fast "affordable" lens in the 35mm - 45mm as I'm finding my A12 28mm lens a bit wide at times and the 40 Sum is a bit long at 60mm at times. The 25mm Voigt is not fast enough and the 25mm Zeiss is getting closer at 2.8. Of course, if I won the lottery and I still had money left over after paying everything off, I'd buy one of these:

Leica 24mm f/1.4 Summilux-M Aspherical Manual Focus 11-601 B&H

Have you used any 35mm lenses on your GXR? I've used both 35mm and 40mm lenses on my NEX, and while my preference is wide normal like you, a 35mm lens works for me whereas 40mm feels too tight.

Your options for affordable lenses would increase greatly with 35mm lenses.

I'm leaning towards the Zeiss 25/2.8 or a used Leica 28/2.8. I'm spoiled with the feel and IQ of my Leica 40 plus it's size is perfect too. The Leica 28/2.8 is not much bigger than the 40 either.

+1 on the Ilford XP2 Super recommendation. It's a beautiful film. Kodak still does make the BW400CN and it's superb as well. All of my recent posts on the Fun with Film Cameras thread have been with either film.

It's interesting Antonio, I've been looking through your Flickr stream and quite quickly could pick out which were XP2 and which were BW400CN (without looking at tags or description I mean) ... this led me to have a search through FLickr looking at other people's XP2 and 400CN shots, and I have to say I prefer the look of the Kodak film ... it seems to create smoother tones and more detailed, sharper images ... XP2 seems rather "harsh" or perhaps coarse by comparison, though it does have terrific impact (but I wouldn't want my portrait taken with it)

Back