What was your Camera of the Year 2011.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by bilzmale, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Nominate the best newly released (ie in 2011) camera in your opinion. You do not have to own it - just admiring is OK.

I'll start with the Fuji X100.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    NEX-7.

Those who didn't have a chance to handle it (yet) don't know how nice this camera is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog S.C. Charter Member

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    First is the Iphone 4s, that camera that is with me always, next would be the X100

• Like Like x 1
  4. pawzitiv

pawzitiv SC Regular

While I'm currently much enamored with my new GX1, for my purposes I find the Ricoh GXR Mount A12 the most compelling camera (err .. sensor module) for 2011. I don't own one but sure do admire it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Sony NEX-5n (I have two)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo! Subscribing Member

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I would have to go with the Panasonic Lumix G3, Feel's nice, light, Full of features, great EVF, Great swivel screen & Great image quality especially with the Pan/Leica 25mm f1.4 and 14-45mm kit lens.

If money was no object then it would be a Canon 5D Mk2 with 35mm f1.4L but that will have to wait.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Wow Pavel. :eek: This is a turnaround, I would have predicted the GH2 for you....so it surpasses the top-o-the-line Panasonic for video as well? A big call my friend. But knowing you it would be 100% on the money. Have you done a review?

8. retow

retow SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Fuji X100, by far.
    The hybrid VF is genius. The image quality very impressive, among the very best aps-c sensor cameras. The design, manual controls and build quality top. Simply a joy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    X100. Easy call. It's not the one I use the most, but I'd bet it's the one I'll have the longest.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    For me, it's my Fuji X100 for its image quality and its aperture ring and everything else.

11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Fuji X100 for it's joy of use. I am REALLY looking forward to their ILC in the spring. Hopefully they'll have ironed out the kinks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PeterB666

PeterB666 SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Well if I had bought a Fujifilm X100 that would be it but my award goes to the Olympus E-P3 which has addressed most of the issues with my E-P1, reliable and fast AF, a top LCD, an extra function button, some decent glass (like the Olympus 12mm f/2 and 45mm f/1.8), good noise control up to ISO2500 provided you get the exposure right and fun to use. It is a good looking camera too and generally gets praise from others.

Not perfect as the white balance seems to have taken a nose dive, especially with longer exposures.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I am planning to do a write up on my year in review. Or at least that's the plan (amongst many other plans). So I'll hold off on my nomination. At least for now. :)

14. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    The X100 for me for new cameras. I have to say though, the GRD3 (new to me this year) was my biggest surprise and joy!

• Like Like x 1
  15. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The GH2 is an excellent camera, I love mine. The NEX-7 is better as a camera, but Micro 4/3 is much better as a system, that's why I don't plan to switch to Sony NEX anytime soon.

16. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Ricoh GRD4, without a doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  17. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I'm off down the bookies as I spot a trend here. 3 to 1 on the Fuji X100 wins!

18. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
  19. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    I've bought 3 cameras this year the Sony Alpha A55 , Lumix G3 and the Fuji X10.

Of the 3 I would choose the Lumix G3.
    Although I have two other m4/3 cameras , I have always remained unconvinced that the m4/3 format was going anywhere as the kit was small but not small enough and image quality was good but not good enough .
    The G3 changed my mind.
    Not only was the camera cheap - ish , it came with Lightroom 3 , the Jpeg quality was much improved and focusing is quick enough to enable shots like this with a lightweight lens (100-300mm)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    And now I'm feeling like I should test the x100... musttt.. resist.. and BB you know what I mean right now too!

• Like Like x 1