What will your next (photographic) purchase be?

The more I looked at specs, the FT2 looks like my next cam. I really can't see the FT10 in my pocket because of the 35mm lens starting point. The 28mm of the FT2 I can make work. I wish these cams had manual controls, but it looks like they do not.

A lens cap for my LX5 because I lost mine on Friday:mad:

Kathy...

Try this screw on one... You never have to take it off, (except when using the filter extension) so you dont lose it.... I leave mine on constantly :)

ALC-53.jpg

Mal.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice movie!!!

I am indeed thinking about a cheap ( / reasonably priced) ultra compact camera that simply can't break down.
- IQ is less important (I use K-x for that kind of stuff) and with LX3 experience I am also OK to sacrifice tele zoom (but love to have wide angle).
- Less Mega pixels would be just fine for me as well (at lower cost or better noise control / High ISO performance)
- Less buttons (no zoom) would also mean less to break down, I would actually be fine with only one button (utilize shutter to turn on/off the camera as well) for 99.7% of usage for such ultra compact&robust P&S (with good iA mode and offline post-processing).

A lens cap for my Voigtlander 28mm. I thought it fell inside the car when I was getting in. Belatedly, I realized it sounded like it hit the ground, but I'd driven over it by then....

New purchase....

View attachment 33560 View attachment 31026

For a while now I have been pondering about getting a new carry around all purpose camera. I thought I had made my mind up with the waterproof Lumix FT10... but when I went on to the Panasonic Website to check out the specs, I found that the FT10 has exactly the same specs as the Lumix FP3 (not waterproof, but touch screen & smaller dimensions)....:eek:

See for yourself

So the FT10 was retailing at around £250/$400 and I found an FP3... on a National UK website which had a local outlet... for a loss leader knockdown price of £69/$105.... mmmmmmm

So I went with the FP3.... its a touch screen (never had one before)... so I whipped it out the box... and had a go. (images are unedited)

View attachment 31027

View attachment 31028

View attachment 31029

View attachment 31030

Not bad for a first outing.... ;)

Mal.

I have a shopping list...

First, I have a Cokin Z-Pro filter kit and extra filters on order. That's due in around 1 week.

I need an external flash for my Nikon dSLR and also a standard or mid-zoom. Want an f/2.8 zoom but the Nikon ones are too expensive and too bulky so it will probably be a Sigma or Tamron.

I need a new remote for the Olympus E-P1 as it doesn't work most of the time now. I think it has an internal hemorage in the cable. I have a few scratches on my P-series Cokin filters so I guess I will be getting a Z-Pro 52mm adaptor to cover that. Makes sense in the long run.

View attachment 31031 View attachment 31032

For a while now I have been pondering about getting a new carry around all purpose camera. I thought I had made my mind up with the waterproof Lumix FT10... but when I went on to the Panasonic Website to check out the specs, I found that the FT10 has exactly the same specs as the Lumix FP3 (not waterproof, but touch screen & smaller dimensions)....:eek:

See for yourself

So the FT10 was retailing at around £250/$400 and I found an FP3... on a National UK website which had a local outlet... for a loss leader knockdown price of £69/$105.... mmmmmmm (see for yourself)

So I went with the FP3.... its a touch screen (never had one before)... so I whipped it out the box... and had a go. (images are unedited)

Not bad for a first outing.... ;)

Mal.
Nice photo's of nicely priced compact camera. Can't they glue a plastic bag arround it and call it waterproof for less than 300 Bucks?

Finally received the Lumix super-zoom DCM FZ100 on Tuesday lunchtime; sad to say not impressed at all I found the right hand grip far too big for my hand and also the movable LCD totally confused me.
I felt as if I was looking away from what ever I was pointing the camera, I know lots of people use this type of camera and certainly can see its usefulness but that and the fact I couldn't hold the camera comfortably I sent it back.

This week I have ordered a tripod. I have ordered a rather fine tripod, namely the Gitzo GT0531 and a ball head with friction control by Manfrotto. The set weights a little less than 1 kg (that is, less than 2.2 lbs). I know that this is a rather expensive tripod, but I did not want to compromise neither weight nor stability, otherwise I would not use it.

Wonderful Christian - this sounds absolutely perfect for your forest walks, and I'm sure you will make excellent use of it. I applaud your choice and can't wait to see what gems you bring to us thanks to having that stabilization.

Ever since 'finding' little Sigma, the dust gathering on my dSLR is beginning to compound and turn to grime. So my next photographic appears as though I might sell the big clunky to someone who'l show it some attention and find a companion for the DP2s. Front runner at this point is a DP1x. This would give me a wide to go with my standard lens. I confess to being constantly tempted by a u4/3. Hmmm...... Just be hard to move away from that sweet sweet Foveon sensor.

I have had the situation, in which the dynamic range of the scene exceeds the capabilities of my cameras by far, much too often and want to buy Photomatix to overcome this hurdle.

Hey pictor, is there a marked difference between Photomatix and similiar HDR software such as that in Photoshop CS?

I only ask as I share your opinion and my adventures with HDR on CS3 and other freeware has been less than successful and simply not worth the effort. Though I say this will full confession that I am rubbish with software.

Hey pictor, is there a marked difference between Photomatix and similiar HDR software such as that in Photoshop CS?

I don't own Photoshop CS and most probably never will. I have not done much testing until now and might try HDR Efex Pro, too. Today I have tested a free program, which did not convince me. Photomatix seems to be the most advanced program and the price seems to be reasonable, too. I will most probably order Photomatix, but I have yet to dig deeper.

+1 on Exposure Fusion. This is the option I use on Photomatixnow and I never bother with HDR. The EF process offers much more natural looking results if that is what you are after.

Back