What's your favorite aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by JJJPhoto, Jul 19, 2012.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    I'm curious what most shooters out there prefer in terms of aspect ratios. Many cameras out there let you choose from a wide range of aspect ratios while shooting and I've been wondering what people actually use.

I personally prefer the 4/3 (3:4) ratio because it's close to what I need for 8x10, 11x14 and 16x20 inch prints (my most common print sizes) and it's perfect for the iPad (which has a 3:4 ratio screen).

If I owned a camera that had the option of selecting a 4:5 ratio then I might choose that since it's perfect for 8x10 and 16x20.

I know some people like the 3:2 ratio since it's the exact ratio needed for 4X6 inch prints (the most popular print size in the US).

Of course, back in my medium format film days I loved the 1:1 ratio.

2. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    4:3

The interesting thing is that I've found that cameras that default to 4:3 offer the 3:2 format whereas cameras that default to 3:2 don't offer 4:3. I see a certain bias going on :mad:

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm a fan of the extremes. I don't print so I'm not constrained by print sizes. I love widescreen 16:9 (or even 2.35:1), but I also really love 1:1. I usually shoot in whatever is native for the camera and crop in post, but occasionally enjoy shooting in square format and composing for it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    For portrait orientation shots, I really like 4:3. That's also my preferred option for diagonally oriented shots (something I'm growing quite fond of), although 1:1 might be even better for that.
    For landscape orientation shots, I prefer wider: 16:9 or, if I still want some height, 3:2. I'd love to have the option of 2.4:1 (the same aspect ratio as most movies in cinemas) without having to crop so much, but I suppose I'll just have to make panoramas to achieve that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I also enjoy shooting with the camera set to 1:1. However, I still find myself reflexively switching my grip from landscape to portrait...even though it doesn't make any difference.... :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    What Luke said. Either 2.5:1 or 1:1. 4:3 is the hardest for me to visualize easily. I shot my 4:3 cameras in 3:2 and the ratio is the only reason I haven't jumped on an OMD.

Gordon

7. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I like 16:9 for landscapes and 3:2 for most of the rest. I'd like to try 2.35:1, should be interesting.

8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I always shoot 4:3 on the Olympus because of Lightroom's quirk of not registering the whole 4:3 frame (which means that if I shoot 1:1 or whatever else, I can't recover the original 4:3 aspect in LR ... though I have to say I haven't checked if this is still the case in 4.1, I'll check it when I have a moment).
    Mostly I leave it at 4:3 but sometimes I'll visualise a scene as 5:4 or 3:2 and shoot with the intention to crop to that ratio in PP.
    I have noticed that I do crop to 5:4 reasonably often in PP even when I haven't pre-visualised that aspect. Dunno what that's all about ...

The Bessa I always leave set at 3:2 ... :smile:

• Like Like x 1