1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

When might we see Quattro samples ?

Discussion in 'Sigma DP Forum' started by El Guapo, Apr 4, 2014.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo SC Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Anyone heard anything in the various interviews?
    The issue for me is that there is an opportunity to pick up a Merrill for a good price, but they will dry up eventually.
    Without seeing Quattro samples its a bit tough to know if to hold off buying a Merrill.

Cheers

2. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    We at Park Cameras have heard nothing regarding the new cameras. I am pretty keen to see RAW image examples that we can download and play with. It can't be long now.....I hope!

3. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Don't know if it helps but the price drop of the Merrills is too attractive to let it go. I can't imagine Sigma will sell the Quattros for similar prices. The results of the Merrills are fantastic. I don't need more so it will be the Merrill for me.

4. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I'm VERY VERY tempted to get another Merrill as they are rather fantastic but I already have 2 systems and don't really want another. Saying that I do not have a decent Macro lens and I still have the close up lens for my old DP2m so for £339 this will be cheaper than buying a macro lens!!!!

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

Imaging resource did an interview w/ CEO of Sigma they published recently.. He mentioned they have no firm date yet, but hoping it will before summer. To me that says best case is early summer for the local Japanese market.

Gary

6. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

The attraction of the new Quattro for me is
    - faster sd write
    - faster af hopefully
    - one stop better iso (Sigma already confirmed at least 1 stop)
    - the new sensor is going to be a much better monochrome camera then the Merrill

Originally I was thinking about waiting for the sd version, but I actually like shooting b&w the most w/ the dp series, so I am going to get the dp2q when they are release.

I just hope they keep the price to the same as when the dp2m was released.
    Gary

7. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

I use both the sd1m and the dp1m & 2m. The dedicated lens and sensor design provides an extremely optimized combination that u cannot beat w/ a slr lens. The sd1 provides more versatility in terms of lens choices such as their 12-24 and 17-70 zooms or their f1.4 primes or their longer focal length macros. This is the only dslr I still use. All my other digital cameras of choice are mirrorless.

Gary

8. El Guapo

El Guapo SC Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    There has been some rumors that the Quattros will be available on June 15th.
    Anyone heard any thing to confirm this?

9. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

B&h posting mid June for the dp2 Quattro.. So far no pre-order and no pricing yet.

Gary

10. tenoates

tenoates New to SC

Apr 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  11. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    ^ Watching these unfold is a pure joy

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Yeah, and they're jpegs. Can't wait to play with a few raw files. Hard to imgine they'll be much better than the DPxM cams, but who knows...

-Ray

13. El Guapo

El Guapo SC Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    After a quick pixel peep, I am none the wiser.
    The jpgs don't look any better or worse than the Merrills to me.
    We need not only RAW but another subject.

14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I really don't think they're going to look in any real tangible way BETTER than the Merrils. It just doesn't seem possible. What you will get with the Quattros will be an additional useable stop of ISO (still miles behind other cameras) and something resembling more modern camera performance speed. Does anyone really need more IQ than the Merrills? Some of those shots still make me eyeballs hurt.

15. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    They look nice, but I agree they don't seem to be better than the Merrill pictures.
    Two really interesting questions to the Quattro as I see it:

Will the high ISO be much improved?
    Will there be drawbacks to the new sensor design where the Merrill will be clearly better in certain situations?

16. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
    If the Quattros offer better AF, faster read/write times, longer battery life and higher iso I might consider adding one.

17. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I think the first three are guaranteed and the fourth depends on your definition of better high ISO.
    They also have a virtual horizon option which is quite nice.

18. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

19. grillec

grillec SC Veteran

Jan 16, 2014
    If the new Quattro are not better in IQ than the Merrill (and the green/magenta cast in the samples indicates this) I would be glad so I don't have to make an investment again :)

20. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

I shoot a lot of b&w w/ the dp Merrill series.. So i am not that worried about the issue of magenta cast.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts