Leica Where's the X2 love?

Antonio,

I may be missing something, but how does the X-100 not meet those criteria? I know the menus aren't as simple or elegant, but if you want to operate it as simply as the X2, that's a simple matter of not using the menus for more than basic setup. Put ISO on the fn button, adjust aperture and shutter speed with their dedicated dials, and you're good to go. The X-100 was clearly aimed straight at the X-1 market, scored a direct hit, and the X-2 was Leica's response, but the consensus seems to be it didn't change much from the X1 for the better.

Am I wrong about that?

-Ray

I guess I should probably try an X100, but I keep reading these horror stories about getting lost in byzantine menus. I hate menus. I want my digital camera to operate as closely to my M6 as possible. The M9 gets pretty close. if it's possible to set a X100 so that you have a dedicated ISO button, that would fully meet with my needs.

Antonio

I guess I should probably try an X100, but I keep reading these horror stories about getting lost in byzantine menus. I hate menus. I want my digital camera to operate as closely to my M6 as possible. The M9 gets pretty close. if it's possible to set a X100 so that you have a dedicated ISO button, that would fully meet with my needs.

Antonio
The menus aren't that bad, but the point is you really don't need to use them much at all, particularly if you shoot raw and don't switch between auto and manual ISO during a shoot. You have two function buttons to use for the settings you change most often - generally ISO for one and either the ND filter or film simulation (if you're shooting jpeg) and you really don't need to touch the menus once you're shooting.

It can be a mildly complicated camera if you want to use it that way, but it can also be dead-simple. And it's got that OVF, which is almost worth the price of admission by itself.

-Ray

Guys I hear what you are saying, really I do, and I am hearing it from guys - like Bob and Ray - who I have come to respect very highly. But I got to say I found the X100 experience a very different one to that with a Leica M. I found the UI and AF clunky - though I hear FW v1.2 improves AF - but that X100 manual focus. Oh man, that thing was soooooo frustrating!!! The X100 has the looks but she and I didn't gel. I look forward to the weekend to play with the M2 - but the X100 excitement wore out a few weeks in. This sort of betrays to me that the X100 experience is not an RF one to me.

I'm not saying the X2 is the panacea, but from what I've read in reviews and LFI (where it all started) I like the sounds of it. Simple controls, very capable IQ and using the Oly EVF....my favourite part of the EP3....well that and the AF speed! So?

Antonio, I take some solace in the fact that there's something about the X2 talking to you as well....a shame we can't test it for a weekend or two.

Guys I hear what you are saying, really I do, and I am hearing it from guys - like Bob and Ray - who I have come to respect very highly. But I got to say I found the X100 experience a very different one to that with a Leica M. I found the UI and AF clunky - though I hear FW v1.2 improves AF - but that X100 manual focus. Oh man, that thing was soooooo frustrating!!! The X100 has the looks but she and I didn't gel. I look forward to the weekend to play with the M2 - but the X100 excitement wore out a few weeks in. This sort of betrays to me that the X100 experience is not an RF one to me.

I'm not saying the X2 is the panacea, but from what I've read in reviews and LFI (where it all started) I like the sounds of it. Simple controls, very capable IQ and using the Oly EVF....my favourite part of the EP3....well that and the AF speed! So?

Antonio, I take some solace in the fact that there's something about the X2 talking to you as well....a shame we can't test it for a weekend or two.

All I can say is wait now, and see if Fiji bring out the anticipated X200: this should improve the handling as they will learned from all the feedback from X100 users.

Cheers, Macjim.

X100 or X1/2?

I have both the X1 and the X100 and the two cameras are just so different.
The lens on the X1 is superb providing crisp images that pop off the paper giving the famous Leica look while the Fuji at f2 and f2.8 is very soft although OK for portraits,flowers etc and then sharpens up smartly at f4.
Fuji colour is rich and smooth but sometimes those cool Leica colours do a better job.
Then the Leica is so simplistic that it's a joy to use but sometimes you just love Fuji Technology.

I reckon that my X1 is the better camera but I enjoy using the X100 rather more..go figure!!

As for Rangefinders...I tried an M9 from Harrisons in Sheffield when they were as rare as hens teeth ( before the X1 came out ) but just didn't like it.

X100 or X1/2?

I have both the X1 and the X100 and the two cameras are just so different.
The lens on the X1 is superb providing crisp images that pop off the paper giving the famous Leica look while the Fuji at f2 and f2.8 is very soft although OK for portraits,flowers etc and then sharpens up smartly at f4.
Fuji colour is rich and smooth but sometimes those cool Leica colours do a better job.
Then the Leica is so simplistic that it's a joy to use but sometimes you just love Fuji Technology.

I have both cameras as well. The X100 is the better camera in any respect but for jacket pocket size. I don't find the X100 lens soft wide open. X100, F2, ND filter on.
View attachment 4035

i love the x2 and its simplicity and image quality. I did have the x100 before but didn't enjoy using it as much as i enjoy the x2. I guess we are all different and thats why there are so many different cameras out there.

I just can't believe that something like the RX100 would not be at least as good a camera at a much lower price. Nothing I've read indicates that if the badging was removed any reviewer would expect a $2K price tag.

I had an x1 and regret to have parted with it. Form factor is perfect, slips in and out of a jacket pocket in breeze, I don't use ovf, falls nicely into the hand when walking around without gripping it in ready mode, can keep your hand wrapped around it in the coat pocket when cold, lightweight, best iq I've had, Colors felt good to me, easy PP, nice look, efficient ergonomics, attractive and sober design, it could have been f2 if they integrated in body Lens correction, expensive!

Did I like x1, yes a lot, as I said I regret it, can I justify spending 2k? Not sure, but if you don't use evf, this camera is unique, there is nô competition at this form factor, simplicity, elegance, quality when not using evf IMHO.

Nuff said ;)

I also sold my X1 this year and agree with you for the most part. It was a lovely light weight camera to have but I just couldn't get along with the slowness of it's focus. I would not part with all that money for the X2 however. It has some stiff competition now :)

I also sold my X1 this year and agree with you for the most part. It was a lovely light weight camera to have but I just couldn't get along with the slowness of it's focus. I would not part with all that money for the X2 however. It has some stiff competition now :)

Focus is fast now on x2, but I agree, difficult to justify the cost, I got my x1 from a demo Leica model for 2/3 of the price at that time so I jumped in.

I just can't believe that something like the RX100 would not be at least as good a camera at a much lower price. Nothing I've read indicates that if the badging was removed any reviewer would expect a $2K price tag.

Sorry, I didn't mean this to sound harsh. I know lots of folks that really love Leica stuff, which is maybe why I try not think about it too much :redface:

Sorry, I didn't mean this to sound harsh. I know lots of folks that really love Leica stuff, which is maybe why I try not think about it too much :redface:

No problem with me, I'm not in love with Leica, there are many things they do that I like, I like simplicity of use and design and they do that well with the x, not much get's in the way. I only hope that another manufacturer gets inspired and make something along those lines at a more decent price. Also, I would like a concurrent FF body made by ricoh let's say with such simple ergonomics on which to put some of those fine RF lenses such as voigt, zeiss and leica if cash allows...

Mark, other than the look and name on the X2 I do not understand how the Fuji X100 is not just a simple to use and in fact is a better camera fro less money. How is the external evf for twice as much mo0ney as the same one from Olympus a simple and elegant solution. I have not seen anywhere that the AF or MF is better, both have the same chip, with the menus on the x100 just set and forget.
Now to compare either to a M2 is a whole other topic. For me while I do love the feel of my Nikon SP, if I use it five times this year I will be surprised, the only reason I do not use my X100 more is because I now have the XPro, but I think this will change because I think my X100 is going into my briefcase as my everyday travel camera for awhile, giving the GRD and X10 a rest, may even sell one or both.

I must confess that my time with the nex5 was not so far from the practicality of the x2 despite it having a long lens whatever you put on the body. Why? Because of it's small height and very light weight, it slips into and out of a pouch and/or a coat pocket for Cole season use, it'll protrude more in the pocket but it is so light that your hardly feel it's there. I also very much like the way it falls into the hands when used with the tilt screen, it is a very stable and braced position, with one hand on the grip and the other circling the lens. Focusing RF lenses in that position is very easy due to the design. When walking with the camera in one hand it falls very casually and confortably into the carrying hand just as the x2 does. Not so fan of the controls though, I know the nex7 has it "mostly right" but the nex7 is much heavier and bigger in comparison.

At the time I got the nex5 I was waited so long the zeiss 24mm lens that I got fed up and sold it. I dunno how good the zeiss lens is today, total sum of money for the nex5 and zeiss lens is cheaper than the x2 but I dunno how the quality of the lens fares against the x2's. I beleive the sensor was improved in the 5n also. If anyone has any opinions on that zeiss lens I'd welcome them. Also didn't like the colors of the nex5 so much but people are saying that they have improved in the 5n... Also the shutter noise was a problem in some cases, I don't have the impression that it has improved.

Back