Which bridge camera you recommend?

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Herman, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Replies are welcome, thanks in advance!

Best regards, Herman
  2. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Hi Herman,

I've owned 4 superzooms this year - Nikon P510, Canon SX50 HS, Fuji SL1000 and Fuji HS50 EXR.

I disqualified the Nikon because it did not shoot RAW. Here are my thoughts from April:

I'll update my thoughts with this: the Fuji HS50 exr, when shooting in "Dynamic Range" mode, offers the best image quality, although it's only 6 MP. The big issue is that you cede miuch control over the other parameters - you are basically at the mercy of what the camera "thinks".

All 3 Fuji's I owned were either defective on arrival, or broke within a month or so. Very disappointing.
  3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    I'd be recommending the Olympus Stylus 1 or the Sony RX10 now.
  4. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY

I don't have experience with the other superzooms, but I own both the FZ150 and FZ200. I am a fulltme freelance writer and II use them professionally to illustrate the stories that I write.

I found the FZ150 to be very capable, and the FZ200 is even better. Both of these camera will work even better if you shoot raw and use DXO Optics Pro 9 for raw conversion and noise reduction.

I suggest you check out the FZ200 image thread here: https://www.photographerslounge.org/showthread.php?t=20949

The FZ200 offers 24-600 equivalent zoom and a constant f2.8 aperture. Leica optics as well.

I have not used the Stylus 1 or Sony RX10, so I can't comment on the image quality or ergonomics, but on paper they don't have nearly the reach of the FZ200.

I guess a key determinant would be how much reach do you need.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Jock
  5. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    +1. If weight is no object, the Fuji XS is really cheap right now. The 2/3 sensor is that same as the x10 and performs very well. If I could afford the RX10 I'd get that, else the Stylus 1 looks like a really fun camera.
  6. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I love my HS30EXR