Which digital camera

The Fujifilm X100 might be close. A quote from DPReview: "It uses traditional analogue control dials for shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation, alongside an electronically coupled (‘focus-by-wire’) manual focus ring." And on this page it says an external button is used for ISO:

Fujifilm FinePix X100 In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

The X-E1 might be the same.

I believe my G12 does, you can look at the camera here to see if it has what you are looking for. I had gotten it because the dials were similar to my dslr. *The camera does not look retro but it works like a standard settings type camera and since I wasn't sure if you meant retro in styling or in function I thought I would mention it.

Leica X2, Canon G12 have fixed (zoom) lenses.
Epson RD-1: hard to find one, expensive, nice camera.
Leica M: too expensive.

What's left: Fuji X-E1 and Oly OM-D. Will check manual controls of both cams. And prices of course.

The OM-D does a lot of stuff well. It is a flexible camera with a very good and expanding system behind it. When I purchase a camera the two primary things I look at are output, (the quality of the final image especially at high ISO's as I shoot a lot of low light stuff) and how well does the camera/system mechanically perform when capturing the stuff I tend to shoot. Example: If you shoot astrophotography, does the system you're thinking of purchasing support that kind or photography, or macro or sports (long fast lenses). So examine how and what you shoot and make sure the camera/system supports that type of shooting. Make sure the camera you choose can EASILY deliver the images you shoot. We all know that expensive equipment does not make you a photographer. But what expensive equipment does is make it easier to capture the exceptional image and with greater consistency. So whatever you buy make sure that the camera/system can easily deliver the exceptional image for your type of shooting.

I mostly shoot people. I shoot people in their environment, outside, inside, sports, moving slow, moving fast ... generally all sorts of people doing stuff. The impact from my photos is based upon people and what they're doing, not upon IQ. So I'm looking for a camera which mechanically handles fast, fast focus, fast manipulation of the settings, fast lens changes. The OM-D does that for me. I found the placement of buttons and dials less than perfect for my chubby, yet regal hands, but the grip helps, (and over time I'm sure the small bones in my hands will move to accomodate the camera).

Two negative areas of the OM-D is the CAF just doesn't work. When shooting sports I just SAF and continuously pump the focus button to reacquire my focus. My keeper rate is significantly lower with the OM-D when compared to my 1Ds (granted the 1D is six times more expensive). Due to the extreme customization, inter-connected functions and complex menus, I found the camera extremely difficult to set up. If it was for the advice I read in the µ-4/3, I would have dumped the OM-D and stayed with my FF cameras. Only by reading the threads did I realize the camera can be set up to react nearly as fast an optical viewfinder dSLR, completely contrary to how the OM-D responds out of the box. Even now the setting will change on their own. The entire software/firmware experience with Olympus (this being my first interchangeable lens Olympus) has been frustrating, over time the frustrations have less, but man, compared to other cameras, the learning curve is long and painful. For me the OM-D was not a simple, intuitive camera. Unless you're willing to spend some time reading and messing with menus, shooting, reading messing with menus again ... over the course of days ... then you will experience frustrations.

Other and lesser negatives. Short battery life.

After all the important stuff is reviewed, then my last criterium is feel and looks. If all else is equal (or close to equal) then feel comes to play. All/most modern cameras are molded to the average human hand (the bigger the camera the more you have to work with ... hence a bigger camera should feel better). I put size in the "feel" category, for me the above factors of camera performance and camera system are more important than size and feel. One can adapt and through usage adapt very quickly to differences in camera layout and feel. So I use feel as a tie breaker.

Looks, this is very important, a camera gotta look either sexy or extremely complex. Nikons are sexy all angles and stuff with a bold red stripe, Canons look dumpy with the bulbous pentaprism and tubular lenses that look like a thermos. If you gotta wear something off your shoulder or around your neck, it might as well be sexy.

Just my two cents, hopefully something I said will be helpful.

Gary

Back