which do you prefer?

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
I sometimes feel like the title of this thread would make a great title for a photo forum. Maybe I'm just indecisive. :dash2:

It's getting dark early. I'm done working for the day, and my wife isn't due home for a couple hours. So I took the dogs for a walk, and now I'm playing some tunes.... and playing with the camera. The living room is completely dark. About 10 feet behind me is our kitchen with an overhead light on. It's just enough light to add atmosphere (and barely enough light for the Fuji to focus). I dial down the exposure compensation to try to match the light level I am in.

Now generally, I prefer my compositions kind of "Rules of Thirds"-ish. I generally dislike images where the "subject" is centered (unless the "subject" is the actual symmetry of the composition). So here is my first shot of the dogs sharing a chair while we listen to Jason Isbell on the stereo.

30868649176_5ae4449d35_b.jpg
DSCF7575
by Luke, on Flickr

What I like about the above is Charlie's eye contact with the camera. I also like Lucy staring out the window (and through the negative space of the photo). I like the out of focus elements like the lights of the neighbors' house across the street. And I like the mysterious murky out of focus "foreground" elements to the left of Charlie. You really can't make out what it is, but to me it adds an element of intrigue.....maybe I'm just :coco:

Still, I'm a little unsure....there's an AWFUL lot of nothing going on to the right... and maybe there's just not enough to carry the photo with that much dead space. So I try a different angle (and the camera also give me a different white balance reading......one of these days I should really decide ahead of time to set the WB.....or at least care enough to think about it instead of just "fixing it in post"....either way, I'm OK with it....I like the warm orange-ish cast in the first....and I like the more natural honest correct one in the one below).

So here's my second shot.

30270369914_5930719053_b.jpg
DSCF7577
by Luke, on Flickr

Now maybe I think I prefer this more accurate WB, but either way, the shot will probably look better in mono, so that point MAY be moot. Charlie still has the great eye contact. I kind of like seeing the shadows cast by that small side table ..... and actually seeing that it IS a side table (which is just the foreground out of focus blob in the first shot). I'm now missing the drama on the right side of the frame.....where is Lucy looking?

I think I've already (just while typing this) decided I prefer the first.

But I'd love to hear your take on the two photos. Which do you prefer? Would you do something different? I may actually try a widescreen b/w processing of the first one. The shots are just throw-aways so you won't hurt my feelings. But I feel like it's good to talk about photos (which we don't much here...and maybe because it's difficult).

I like everything about the first one. The colors and the space for Lucy to look out into make it my pick.

I also pick the first. The highlights on the dog and the lights in the window give the image a few points of focus. The B&W seems a bit flat. Maybe not enough contrast in the image for B&W and it needs the color for a little pop.

another vote for #1
- showing the window opens up the space that Lucy is looking out to.
- we're getting a nice inside (warm) <> outside (cold) contrast
- the bright street-lights/window-lights(?) outside make it clear, that it's evening/night and clarify the low light levels (makes it clear that it's not just an underexposed afternoon shot)

But if that's not what these photos are about for you, then #2 is just fine too.
My personal analysis aside, both shots are wonderful, since it's about the lovely subject :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back