Which is more important to you the feel and process of shooting or the results of the final images.

Landshark

PhotoDog
Name
Bob
There have been a few threads on this forum about the feel, connectivity and pleasure of using cameras with manual focus, or legacy glass, older chips, using film, retro cameras in general. One person describes it, as you cannot control whom you fall in love with. Very few of the discussions are centered on how these processes will make a better final image, it seems to be more about how one feels about capturing the image than the image itself.

All of this makes me want to ask this question. Which is more important to you the feel and process of shooting or the results of the final images.

Understanding we all like toys and the fact that the camera that feels good in your hands is the one you will want to use, but taking that part aside.

The question is more on the line of do you like the hunt more or the kill better.

I collect and drink wine, there are many I know who are more about the hunt for that special bottle and then there are those who enjoy the taste and pleasure of drinking the wine more.

What part of the photo process is most appealing to you and why

For me being a photographer is who I am in so many ways, I identify myself as a photographer, I see the world that way, sort of filtered through a lens; this is both good and bad. I have some form of camera with me all the time, may not use it but it is always there. At the same time, other than my original Nikon F, sitting in a case, I have no more emotional attachments to my shooting cameras, they last only as long they do what I want them to do and then when something newer and or better arrives they are replaced. I do not whish to go back and shoot the way I once did, I want to take advantage of what modern technology has brought to this image making process. I have even thought about how cool it will be, when something like the Google glasses will be able to zoom and shoot high resolution low light images, no cameras in my hands at all just look imagine and shoot.

Which is more important to you the feel and process of shooting or the result...

The processing. Taking what I saw and making it what I Saw.
It's takes it from a way to show you what I saw and turns it into a way to show you what I felt.
It's a peak inside. Behind the curtain. See my Oz, the great and powerful!

To me they are parts of one whole, each with its own allure. There have always been photographers who hired people to do their processing and printing -- fortunately for me, since I made my living doing that part of their work for about 30 years. But for me, doing my own film processing and printing were part of the craft, an attitude that has held over to digital, though I'm less skilled at digital techniques than I was in a darkroom.

I love the physicality of using the camera, setting up the shot, even hearing the sound of the shutter, sometimes a harsh clack and thud, other times a silky click-whoosh. But the other end, turning the raw file or the exposed film into an image is still just magic for me - not less so than when I saw my first black and white image emerge in the tray under an amber safe light.

The results, without a doubt. Otherwise, you could just sit and fondle the camera without taking any shots.

However, there are certain cameras that make the process more effective, efficient or pleasurable. For the type of photography I do, the Leica M9 works perfectly. The camera is fairly small and inconspicuous, the lenses are sublime and the IQ is top notch. I also find rangefinder manual focusing to be highly effective and precise. However, if I did the type of photography that requires 10fps or auto focus tracking of moving subjects, the M9 would not be my choice. Different tools for different jobs.

I do not understand the legacy lens with adapters craze, and find no attraction in going through the trouble of manually focusing legacy lenses on an EVF or LCD, even with electronic focusing aids.

As to shooting film, I truly believe that there is a look and tonality to black & white film that is quite unique. That's the reason why I still (very occasionally) shoot B&W film, mostly in medium format. I have completely given up on shooting color analog and do not expect to return to it.

Cheers,

Antonio

no, i didnt describe using a camera like falling in love. rather i explained why i cant explain the pleasure derived from some types of sensoral experiences to someone who doesnt feel it, much like how one cannot explain falling in love to one who either hasnt, or has differently.

interestingly, but obviously a part of my rather verbose post on this topic that didnt resonate, i explained that i too went from camera to camera, as something new and better came along. the rx1 i now use for street and lowlight photography is indeed 'state of the art' and has unemotionally replaced other tools for these purposes because it does them better and provides better resulting images. i like using it for many reasons, but one of them is not that it seamlessly connects me to the scene im trying to capture.

i found that connection in another tool, a 10 year old tool, that again also provides excellent results, imo. its not 'either or', its both. because it provides this connection, i enjoy using this tool more than any other camera in a long time. due to specific reasons i took great pains to outline, there is no other tool out there that does what this does the way this does it. if another comes along that can better provide me this particular kind of joy, i would have no compunction 'trading up', as i am not 'in love' with the machine. the problem here seems to be you want a western-style specific definition for what is essentially an eastern zen concept, one not susceptible of definition more than that it is. and like other zen concepts, the more you seek it out in this way, the further you will be from understanding it, assuming understanding it is actually the goal.

"I didn't get any good photos, but boy did I enjoy the process of shooting" is something I've never said.

"I got good photos, but I had to fight the camera to get them" is something I've said, these days less frequently.

"I got good photos and was really in the zone." is something that I shoot for.

It's both, really. I don't want to shoot with a camera that I don't like or isn't suited to the task, but it also has to deliver results. If I'm not happy with those results then the process would also be tarnished for me. Get a camera (or cameras) that fit both criteria, work on how to get the most out of it and you're away.

Both for me too. If it was just about how the images turned out, I'd probably be hauling a D800 and some fast glass around and I'd probably have an RX100 in my pocket at all times. And if it was just about how much I enjoyed shooting with a camera, it might just be an LX7. Since it's both, it's none of those options.

I'm also unemotional about getting rid of gear - if I'm not using it and don't think I will use it much again, I sell it. But part of what keeps me using something is the shooting experience and part is the final results.

-Ray

Both for me as well, and it has helped to realize that, leading me to do less camera-chasing and more camera using. I have manual focus lenses on an NEX-6 when I want that level of engagement. I also have an X100, which produced great output but also is very enjoyable to use. Nikon V1 for action is all about the results, and Sony RX100 is for when I want decent results with most unobtrusive camera. Neither the Nikon or Sony will ever be described as me as "fun to use", but they do their jobs very effectively.

It's usually both for me too but there are times I just want to get out of the house and I shoot just for the pleasure of shooting. I also sometimes shoot too many pics and come PP time I get fed up working on the images and sometimes a very good image is not even seen!

the feel and process of shooting or the results of the final images.

For me its a bit more the process of shooting, I enjoy making images, the creative thinking behind what I might like to do.
Thank goodness I am not a Pro. I would hate to be tied to what image must be made

I do however enjoy consuming images with my eyes, but I find I spend more time looking at others images to my own.
I am a little dejected that my images are not often satisfying. I envy the work of others often - am I bad?
But my poor results spurs me on.

In the end its all photography, no matter making an image or enjoying it. All that matters is I am "living the photographic life"

The result is what I do it for, but I need a camera I can connect with, a lens I love, since those things make the process of taking the pictures far more enjoyable. I enjoy the challenge of finding and getting the shot, but ultimately, I'm always looking for those few shots that are 'worth it'.

I find it as much a pleasure sitting behind the computer processing my images as taking them in the 1st place. I have had many (too many) cameras over the last 6 years and none have been as nice to use as the Panasonic GF1. With the 20mm f1.7 i feel that it is all I need most of the time and it's a pleasure to shoot with. I know that in most cases I will get decent quality images. It's the only camera I have really connected with. I am currently looking for a replacement but it's tough. The E-M10 look to fit the bill but even if I do get one I will never sell the GF1.

To me they are parts of one whole, each with its own allure. There have always been photographers who hired people to do their processing and printing -- fortunately for me, since I made my living doing that part of their work for about 30 years. But for me, doing my own film processing and printing were part of the craft, an attitude that has held over to digital, though I'm less skilled at digital techniques than I was in a darkroom.

I love the physicality of using the camera, setting up the shot, even hearing the sound of the shutter, sometimes a harsh clack and thud, other times a silky click-whoosh. But the other end, turning the raw file or the exposed film into an image is still just magic for me - not less so than when I say my first black and white image emerge in the tray under an amber safe light.

Funny I always hated processing film but there is nothing in the digital world than can compare to see your print magically appear on blank piece of paper in the developer tray, I loved printing. It is probably they only thing I miss about the film days

The short moment before a photo I realized there is a unique scene that could lead to a unique photo (and the hunting after this moments) is the greatest drive for me to make the next run. The camera should be able to deliver the quality and of course the anticipation to see this picture on a big monitor is great, too.
I just don't want to spent too much time in the final process.

the problem here seems to be you want a western-style specific definition for what is essentially an eastern zen concept, one not susceptible of definition more than that it is. and like other zen concepts, the more you seek it out in this way, the further you will be from understanding it, assuming understanding it is actually the goal.
Funny that I am responding to this while I am visiting Kyoto, Japan. Speaking of zen

View attachment 90795

View attachment 90796

And you are right I never understood the Samurai’s final charge with swords against the overwhelming western guns and canons of the modern army.:rolleyes:

Just for the record, when it comes to manually focusing cameras I still own, 1 Minolta, 1 Contax , 4 Nikon rangefinders, 5 Leicas, 2 Nikon SLRs, 2 Mamiya RZ 67, 1 Fuji 680. 1 4X5 and an 8X10. The only ones I use very occasionally are the Nikon SPs and the Nikon F to keep the shutters operating well the Fuji, because of its ability to distort the plane of focus and the 8x10 for Polaroid transfers

very nice perspective in shot #2.

about the samurai charge, thats about as far from zen as one can get and about as close as one can get to cultural perceptions of honor. perhaps this misperception is where the disconnect begins. imo, zen is ultimately about achieving Quality from a task by putting quality into the task through the concept of unifying yourself with the task. properly done one has a positive experience achieving a positive result. the process and result cannot be seperated from each other nor from the pleasure their proper execution brings to the individual.

As I now take images of birds and wildlife most of the time I suppose it's the whole process from scouting the bird, figuring out where it will be and when it will be there plus trying to get near to it - that's the challenge and can be the frustrating bit, as the more you get into it the "art" the more practice and background knowledge you need, plus luck! Once you have mastered that, taking the image is the easy bit, although a good composition is difficult as they are not willing subjects.
But processing the image is marvellous especially when you have a really good shot which can be more "hit and miss" with bird photography than with other subjects.
The heavy long lens, stuck on a heavy tripod and backpack is not the fun bit, especially when it begins to rain.

With normal photography then it's the end product that gives me satisfaction, playing about with the camera is fun but not a great technical achievement, especially which todays technology.

"It's the image that counts"

Back