1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[C&C] Which one? (A scenario)

Discussion in 'Photo Critique' started by TraamisVOS, May 28, 2014.

1. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    The Editor of Rolling Stone magazine is on the phone YELLING at you to email the damn photo.

She's giving you 10 seconds to email it direct to her inbox or a couple of Rolling Stone magazine goons, waiting in a vintage 1956 Cadillac with giant tail fins out in the street, are going to smash down your front door....

.... and then hold you down while one of them crushes your shutter trigger finger with a fine stainless steel nutcracker stolen from a Hooters restaurant two days ago.

They will leave no prints on the nutcracker, and it will never be traced back to the Hooters restaurant because the goons who are moonlighting as food critics will never admit to having been to one. No culinary expert subpoenaed in court will ever sell out one of their own for being at Hooters.

Without your shutter trigger finger, you'll never be able to take a photograph with the same skill and precision again.

Much like how a Marine sniper with a crushed trigger finger will never be able to hit a one-and-quarter mile target with any precision again.

Much like how Liberace with all crushed ten fingers will never be able to .... wear all those glittery 20 carat diamond rings on every single one of his digits ever again.

You have 10 seconds. Which one?

14256293744_9c92d03472_c.

2)
    14274582933_b7906c053e_c.

2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    2... I'm boring like that...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The editor won't even notice the difference...and after it's printed in the magazine, they'd likely be indistinguishable.

But if I had to pick one, I'd go with no. 2. The differences all seem fairly subtle to me, but I find I like the singers shirt with the deep shadows. In the 1st one, the brighter and noisier areas just beneath his elbow I find distracting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    hmm... good point about the shadows.

The Editor is (b)anal like that, she'll notice a world of difference. The devil wears prada.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    2. Because I can make quick decisions not based on anything.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    I'll go with number 1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    My reason for 2 is that the hand doesn't obscure the mic, and I have this boring instinct to show as much as possible. Thinking some more about it, I do think the hand obscuring the mic makes the hand gesture stronger, more forceful. But that thinking has just cost me my trigger finger... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    See... this is why I can't decide either.

9. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Because its better than 1

• Like Like x 2
  10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    wow.....now I REALLY feel like an idiot (more than usual). I thought it was the same shot with two different processings. Now that I see the differences more clearly, I definitely still like #2 more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    No2
    but I'd tighten the composition and crop out the extreme left and right lights

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Definitely 2. To me, it's not so much the mic as the mouth. I'd wanna keep the hand away from his face, which is also plenty expressive.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    2 - it is more dynamic in that it looks like the rocker is trying to reach out to the reader/viewer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    #2 for all of the reasons stated above.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I prefer #2 for the same reason.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Thanks everyone, it's been a great help to hear your opinions. My first instinct was to like #2 but the more I looked at #1, the more I liked it too. But it's good to hear what people are thinking, I'm happier sticking with #2 as the primary shot rather than #1.

Except Luke, he thought he was looking at the same photo. Bah!

17. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Second

• Like Like x 1
  18. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Actually, the reason why there is a slight difference in the post-processing in the bottom left corner is because in both photos, the bass player is rocking out behind the singer and you can see the headstock and neck of the bass guitar sticking out from behind the singer. I felt the headstock created a visual distraction so I edited it out but made two different creative decisions in the editing between #1 and #2.

So that's a sharp eye for catching that, Luke.

19. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Just for interest, I took three very quick shots as soon as I saw the singer strike that pose on stage. Here's the third shot:

14067763080_d6dc2424df_c.

He was sweeping his arm across but it all happened very fast and I regretfully missed a great shot with a fully outstretched arm in the third shot. Nevertheless I'm glad I caught #2.

20. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Just for clarification, while I noticed the hand was obscuring the mic, the first one has more tension to me. I feel the singer is portraying more force in the first photo.

• Like Like x 1