1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

[C&C] which one do you prefer

Discussion in 'Photo Critique' started by Luke, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    It's just a goofy little macro testing out a new lens, but I still kind of like it. It has a retro vibe that like. So the first one here is pretty much SOOC except for a slight crop and messing with the tone curve a bit. But after I loaded it up onto flickr, the top line going off at an angle kinda looked weird to me.
    8414090865_ed7400a262_c.
    Grundig radio by Lukinosity, on Flickr

So then I took it into Photoshop and leveled off the Grundig, but now I feel like it's a littl odd because I feel like there still enough context for the eye to understand that this was shot at an angle with the radio "going away" from the lens so it kinda looks weird to me now that the top is parallel to horizontal. So, it doesn't really matter....it's no great shakes....just a throwaway image eventually, but now I just can't tell which one looks more "right". What do you thebrilliant minds of SC think?....#1 or #2?

Grundig macro by Lukinosity, on Flickr

2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I cast my vote for numero 2!

3. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    I prefer the first one. The second seems distorted. The Grundig logo looks square on to the lens while the speaker is at an angle.
    So leveling up the logo imo, maks the image look false.

4. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    This won't help, but to me they both look a little odd, as though the top half is at a different angle to the bottom half. Some sort of optical illusion, or my eyes are more screwed up than I thought. #2 is odder than #1.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Don't worry Barrie. There is definitely something else going on here and I can't quite put my finger on it. Can you people even guess whether the letters are indented or embossed? The first time I looked at it, I kinda freaked out. Because it appears to the the opposite to what it really is. At least to me.

But then, I like images that unsettle a little bit.

6. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    embossed

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    that's the way it looks to me as well. But it's not. I'll have to take another shot with the aperture stopped down with everything in focus and see if that clears up the weirdness going on, but I really like the shallow DOF here.

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi SC Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Madison, WI
    I'm definitely getting a weird gestalt-effect looking at both images...with the tight blurring and very few other clues it's difficult to tell which side is closer/farther away. Even with the shadow on the grill it almost looks like the silver is sticking "out" rather then "in."

9. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Is not the difficulty of making it look "right" to do with the planes of radio and sensor not being parallel?

Can't speak for any embossy effect as I'm viewing on a 'phone

10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    But then I couldn't have the text pass through the plane of focus (although I suppose I could get a tilt shift lens :tongue:). I knew one of the "get it right in camera" crew would show up to give me a proper ribbing. But alas, I'm a modernist who enjoys playing with software to cover up my inadequacies with the camera.

11. nianys

nianys SC Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    N°2 for me

12. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    well, I'm certainly not one of those people and i've never claimed to be ... and nor am I offering a ribbing, just observing something

fwiw now I've looked on a proper 'puter, second version for me

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    sorry if I misread your intent Paul. I just assumed a film shooter would be of the mindset to get it right in camera. Sorry to have put you in a little box.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    well funnily enough I find I fiddle hardly at all with crops when i'm using flim, but still lots when i use digital ...

15. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Its like one of those weird images, Escher-like, that leaves you not quite sure which angle is "right". Sorry, Luke, my eyes are spinning in my head. :(

16. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I am a fan for getting it right in camera Luke but anyway I think 2 is a little better. Count me as a second in the crew mostly because I've done that before too.. and tried to fix it. Now I am a little more mindful of what I will have to do in pp and try if at all possible to rectify any while shooting. And sometimes I just shoot to shoot because I want record of something too.

17. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    It's embossed. The camera never lies, ya know. :rolleyes:

18. KianO

KianO SC Top Veteran

Jun 27, 2012
    Geneva
    #2 but maybe something in between ;)

19. MargaretSchwarz

MargaretSchwarz  

May 6, 2013
    i would like to cast my vote for the first one.