Which one is better?

Discussion in 'Film Camera Forum' started by Isoterica, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    So if you have a choice in these three SLR's, without interjecting other cameras mind you because unless one is tossed at me I won't be acquiring more, which one would you prefer to shoot with, which is overall better. My daughter will be taking photography class/es in college and while we expect the majority of it to be digital there may be a film option and if so she would like to explore film/developing.

I am looking at camera body itself, then the existing lenses and then if needed the practicality of buying inexpensive lens/es. I have not yet tried them myself.

1. Zenit E w/Industar 50mm 3.5
    2. Nikon EM w/Vivitar 28-55mm 3.5 & Nikon AI Mt. Soligor Zoom+Macro 80-200mm
    3. Olympus OM10 w/Tokina SD 70-210mm 4-5.6

2. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    For a photo class, unfortunately, the Zenit, but it is a horrible camera. Both the Nikon and Olympus are AE cameras only--no manual exposure. You will want manual exposure for a photo class.

3. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Hmm ok thank you, that is why I asked, I know little about these cameras. Maybe she will work on digital unless there is an inexpensive alternative. I don't want to invest in a camera she'll have no interest in later.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    FWIW, I have an old Pentax Spotmatic F that would be bargain basement price for a student. If you like, I could even mail it to you for a free trial to see if it's something she is interested in.

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    If the OM-10 has the optional adapter, it can be used manually. I have one as a back-up to my OM-1, and usually use it that way. If it does have the adapter, I'd definitely go with it. And a good 50mm Zuiko and be had for next to nothing.

The adapter is just a little accessory that plugs into the left, front of the camera.

6. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Okay, blink, I just looked at the camera and it has the manual adapter on it LOL. I got it off the RFF christmas giveaway for her but have not toyed with it yet. So if the school accepts that we're good. If not Luke I may get back to you. Lawrence, lenswise.. I am seeing 1.2 [er expensive], 1.4, 1.8.. I don't know if the mounts vary..

7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    They're all OM mount Kristen.
    The 1.8 is available very inexpensively.

8. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks Paul, I was looking on ebay, the 1.8 can come in around 20 where the 1.4 seems to be more which is pretty standard and then the omg 1.2 I saw at 600.

Found my Ricoh Singlex too.. I guess I have a lot more to sell off than I thought. I'll keep the Oly for her, got a flash with it too.

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The 1.8 is a good lens, and should do just fine for a photo class. If your daughter finds she's in love with low light shooting, one of the others might be nice, but the f1.8 is what came with the kits; it's sharp and sturdy. I"ve never met a 1.2, only heard about them, and the older version f1.4 suffered from a fair amount of flair.

10. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Gotcha, thanks. Will flea market this weekend to see if I can find one laying around. I sometimes have good luck with coincidence.

11. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    So I stumbled on a Graflex Speed Graphic.. but no lenses today. Sigh. No I didn't get it-- didn't know enough about it to know if it was complete but it was in great condition and not expensive at all.

12. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Ooh nice.

13. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Yeah for 50$ I probably should have even if only to use it as a paperweight but I will be getting rid of several cameras soon so it seemed counter productive to what I am doing. Still.. it was sweet.