Film Which one is better?

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
So if you have a choice in these three SLR's, without interjecting other cameras mind you because unless one is tossed at me I won't be acquiring more, which one would you prefer to shoot with, which is overall better. My daughter will be taking photography class/es in college and while we expect the majority of it to be digital there may be a film option and if so she would like to explore film/developing.

I am looking at camera body itself, then the existing lenses and then if needed the practicality of buying inexpensive lens/es. I have not yet tried them myself.

1. Zenit E w/Industar 50mm 3.5
2. Nikon EM w/Vivitar 28-55mm 3.5 & Nikon AI Mt. Soligor Zoom+Macro 80-200mm
3. Olympus OM10 w/Tokina SD 70-210mm 4-5.6

For a photo class, unfortunately, the Zenit, but it is a horrible camera. Both the Nikon and Olympus are AE cameras only--no manual exposure. You will want manual exposure for a photo class.

Hmm ok thank you, that is why I asked, I know little about these cameras. Maybe she will work on digital unless there is an inexpensive alternative. I don't want to invest in a camera she'll have no interest in later.

FWIW, I have an old Pentax Spotmatic F that would be bargain basement price for a student. If you like, I could even mail it to you for a free trial to see if it's something she is interested in.

If the OM-10 has the optional adapter, it can be used manually. I have one as a back-up to my OM-1, and usually use it that way. If it does have the adapter, I'd definitely go with it. And a good 50mm Zuiko and be had for next to nothing.

The adapter is just a little accessory that plugs into the left, front of the camera.

Okay, blink, I just looked at the camera and it has the manual adapter on it LOL. I got it off the RFF christmas giveaway for her but have not toyed with it yet. So if the school accepts that we're good. If not Luke I may get back to you. Lawrence, lenswise.. I am seeing 1.2 [er expensive], 1.4, 1.8.. I don't know if the mounts vary..

Thanks Paul, I was looking on ebay, the 1.8 can come in around 20 where the 1.4 seems to be more which is pretty standard and then the omg 1.2 I saw at 600.

Found my Ricoh Singlex too.. I guess I have a lot more to sell off than I thought. I'll keep the Oly for her, got a flash with it too.

The 1.8 is a good lens, and should do just fine for a photo class. If your daughter finds she's in love with low light shooting, one of the others might be nice, but the f1.8 is what came with the kits; it's sharp and sturdy. I"ve never met a 1.2, only heard about them, and the older version f1.4 suffered from a fair amount of flair.

Gotcha, thanks. Will flea market this weekend to see if I can find one laying around. I sometimes have good luck with coincidence.

So I stumbled on a Graflex Speed Graphic.. but no lenses today. Sigh. No I didn't get it-- didn't know enough about it to know if it was complete but it was in great condition and not expensive at all.

Yeah for 50$ I probably should have even if only to use it as a paperweight but I will be getting rid of several cameras soon so it seemed counter productive to what I am doing. Still.. it was sweet.

Back