1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who got a Nikon V1 and still has it?

Discussion in 'Nikon 1 Forum' started by BruPri, Jun 14, 2012.

1. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    I ask because I don't see a lot of activity on the forum. Truth be told, I had my doubts two days in until I had a revelation in the form of an FT1 adaptor and an AF-S Nikkor 85 1.8 lens. It transformed the camera, fast AF, no more fuzzy, grainy images. I have renewed enthusiasm for the thing, I even picked up a 35 1.8 and will probably get the 10mm 2.8
    Obviously there's a tradeoff, the larger lenses ain't pocketable but it works like a champ.
    Here's one with the 85mm f/1.8G, ISO 250@f2.8
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    I'm planning to get one when I have time - with the FT1 and a few dedicated lens - I reckon that is all I will need in a compact camera and it will replace my M43 stuff.

I will use it alongside my Nikon DSLR and also plan to use it with my Nikon 300mm f4

• Like Like x 1
  3. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    That's a smart move Bill, I've standardized on X-Pro 1/Contax for my main rig but wished I had more Nikon glass to play with. I'm happy with the two lenses I did get though.

4. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Pity Andrew is not in the UK or France as the V1 with the twin lens pack is about US$1100 here, but to import from the US would add 30% to the sale price

5. silverbullet

silverbullet SC Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Germany
    Bill, what's going wrong with m4/3?

Now Oly has a very impressive OM-D which is better as similar cams including the Leica X1/2 and your 'stuff' (of m4/3 lenses) will get a new life. Plus your Nikon lenses as well......

Yesterday I grabed the Oly - the only small drawback for me is the tiny knob-layout and sizes at the back, but after two weeks it should be ok....

Cheers
    Bernd

6. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Bill, Just send me on a vacation to Europe and I'll drop it off in person for free :biggrin:

7. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    I just came back from an end of year school picnic in a local park. I'm now convinced the lens makes the camera in this case and the kit zoom lens cripples. All these pics are the V1/FT1/AF-S Nikkor 85mm 1.8G. Go figure...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DSC_0790.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's posts and photos like these which make me wonder where to draw the line between a small and large sensor camera. We've always thought of cameras like the Panasonic LX series, Ricoh GRD series, Canon S and G series as having small sensors. Then the Fuji X10 comes along with a 2/3rd inch sensor, and now the Nikon 1 and Sony RX cameras sport 1 inch sensors.

Where is the cut off point? When do we say, 'this is a small sensor camera, this is a large sensor camera?' The photos of the flowers and train above look like 'large' sensor images; and they are, from a 1 inch sensor. But it's only large by comparison with its predecessors.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I'm hoping Nikon will release a V2 that has more direct controls and a super menu to access all the options. I was very impressed with the AF of the Nikon 1's.

10. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    Given what I paid for it, I'd be much happier with a firmware update first!!:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Very true! I think a menu change and some button customizability via firmware update would address the few issues I had with the V1. My only other issue (that I can remember) was the auto-ISO implementation. So a V2 is actually not needed as long as Nikon is willing to update the firmware and implement the changes. Keeping my fingers crossed!

12. Allan

Allan SC Rookie

Feb 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    But that combination has no VR. Isn't it troublesome to shoot without it?

13. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    Not really Alan, it's fast enough that it doesn't give me much trouble. I also have an 18-200 that does have VR and it works like a champ.

14. pec

pec SC Rookie

Aug 24, 2012
    I am planning on keeping my V1 kit as an ultra light weight hiking solution (see A Chance Encounter | Western Alberta ) for some shots in July. The FT-1 with the 70-200 makes a great wildlife option too.

That being said I am probably going to sell off my DX stuff to fund an XP1....at least that is my thinking today :)

15. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I just sold mine a couple of days ago.

16. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    That's funny, I just bought one a couple of days ago...

17. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    From me :smile:

Simply downsizing my camera collection. Working my way down to just the Ricoh GXR and GRD4. Still have my Q, may or may not keep that. Nice to have the compact 47mm camera.

18. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmflores/7851958594/" title="Nate. Again. by john m flores, on Flickr"> 7851958594_bff7e727db_c. "800" height="535" alt="Nate. Again."></a>

Nikon 1 V1, 110mm (297mm EQ), F5.6, 1/20s, ISO 3200

19. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Very nice John.

20. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    That's not fair, that cat Nate is so handsome ANY camera would take a good looking photo.

• Like Like x 1