Who owns the rights?

Would your opinion change if it was not the photographer's idea? This article just states that he left the camera unattended, not that he handed it to the monkey..... Monkey Business: Can A Monkey License Its Copyrights To A News Agency?

Also, in the above article it discusses the notion of handing your camera to a tourist to take a photo of you posing with your wife. Technically, the tourist owns the rights...they took the photo.

Probably not. But in any case in the articles I have read it clearly states that the photographer had the idea to allow the monkeys to explore this camera and hopefully trigger it to take their photographs. For that reason I restate that the creative idea was that of the photographer not the monkey, therefore the copyright should lie with the photographer.

LouisB

I always find copyright/ownership rights in regards to art an interesting topic. As an engineer, we deal with copyrights in terms of ideas and patents in terms of application, but many Engineers I know are very unhappy with the patent process and what the Patent Office is currently allowing as Patents, but thats a whole 'nother can of worms.

At what point is art public domain?

I always find copyright/ownership rights in regards to art an interesting topic.

This gets at the heart of THIS specific instance I think. So the photog had the IDEA to let the monkey use his camera (still not what I have read in another accounts....it's my understanding that it was accidental) and that entitles the copyright to him? Because he clearly had NOTHING to do with taking the photo. It was his IDEA and nothing more. I think giving him copyright for that is fairly sketchy.

At what point is art public domain?

When the law decides it is, whether under local jurisdiction or by international agreement. Copyright in the printed word and music certainly expires after a time, but I'm not sure whether the same pertains to works of visual art

There have been some recent cases in England regarding the work of the the street artist known as Banksy. He generally creates his pieces in public spaces - on the sides of buildings.

Whatever his intent that these are "public pieces", the people who own the walls on which the pieces are painted have taken to removing the piece of wall and putting it up for sale in the private art market. So long as the wall is theirs to do with as they wish, of course.

T Because he clearly had NOTHING to do with taking the photo. It was his IDEA and nothing more.

But the photographs would not have existed in that particular context without his having had the idea and then executed the idea by placing the camera in the hands of the simians.

I understand the argument...I just don't buy into it.

This bit from another article about the story seems pertinent....

"under US copyright law, copyright claims cannot vest in to non-human authors (that is, non-human authors can't own copyrights) — and the monkey was the photographer. To claim copyright, the photographer would have had to make substantial contributions to the final image, and even then, they'd only have copyright for those alterations, not the underlying image."

Not sure if handing the camera to the monkey (if, in fact, he handed it to the monkey) counts as a substantial contribution.

Can you claim copyright for a shot from your security camera? Let's assume the camera has a certain level of AI and is designed to take pictures of what it identifies as people. A few of the pictures are really good. This is similar to the monkey case but is likely to happen more often in the near future.

From the BBC article on the monkey-selfie:

"Mr Slater said he spent three days in Indonesia shadowing the monkeys in 2011.

"I became accepted as part of the troop, they touched me and groomed me... so I thought they could take their own photograph.

"I set the camera up on a tripod, framed [the shot] up and got the exposure right... and all you've got to do is give the monkey the button to press and lo and behold you got the picture."

I rest my case.

LouisB

The law here in GB says that copyright belongs to the person that created the image.
The photographer may have set everything up (staged) but the monkey created the image when it tripped the shutter.
I would ( if I were a judge) rule that based on the evidence on how the shot was obtained grant copyright to the photographer that set up the shot. But any royalties earned should go to replacement of any photo gear destroyed while getting the shot and the remainder to a good cause. The photographer could have covered himself to start with by employing the monky ;-)

Back