Who Shot the Photographer?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by serhan, Aug 22, 2013.

1. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    Interesting image from ImageBrief website, which is reported on phoblographer:

2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    I guess the message is that if you want to make a living from your photography, you either get people to hire you specifically for a certain job, or you sell specific works as art for a considerably higher price than stock photography. Both of which revolve around not only being a good photographer, but also getting your name out there and also being good enough at the marketing / business side of it to stand out from the crowd of other very capable photographers. Or be really, really, really good at stock photography...
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I think in days gone by, a lazy photographer could get by if he/she was very good. Or an industrious hustler could get by with adequate lens skills. I have neither the drive nor the skill to get paid for photography...today one needs both those skills.
  4. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    A friend was interviewed at a local festival for the Chicago Sun Times and afterwards a guy with a cel phone took his picture plus others for publication. Moving your photos is more work than work these days.
  5. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    I know people who make WAY more than $4000 a year selling stock photos. But they take lots & lots of very boring pictures. I wouldn't want to make a living in such a nauseating manner.
  6. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    I "broke into" photography 2 year ago. It is way more democratic than in days gone by and, for sure, digitization has had an impact. Everyone is a photographer now. I sell some of my work on line or through a local gallery. Not enough to make a living and not so many that it has become work. Just how I like it. I take photographs each and every day.....I love it. Would hate to be on the wheel breaking my back for it.
  7. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    I shot the photographer!

But I did not shoot the deputy.

8. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    Totally agree; a good portion of stock photography is about pleasing as many people as possible and not offending anyone; that takes all the personal expression out of photography (I'm sure there's more edgy or personal stock photography as well, but that probably won't be as big an earner).
  9. NathanJ

NathanJ SC Regular

Sep 18, 2012
    Yet more more people are using stock photography as their primary source of income. Go figure.
  10. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I've always wondered about relative numbers of enthusiast and pros of all flavors. More enthusiasts than I thought, relatively speaking.