Why Photography?

Well clarified! But is this another vote for Grant's take of the selfishness of the photographic exercise? :confused:

hmm I don't think so (provided I understand him correctly), for me the resulting photo, and my own and others' response to it, are the reason I photograph. That said, I do see some similarities to his feelings and mine...

I'm definitely hesitant to post some of my photos online... Not so much the ones where I try to make a pretty or strong picture, because I'm quite sure I can grow to a level where I'm satisfied with the "pretty pictures" I take, and I feel it's just important to take my time, practice a lot, and put them out there to see how others feel about them so that I can become a better photographer. I must admit that my own level of satisfaction with a photo does increase greatly if others like it too!

I'm much more hesitant about those photos which are more a reflection on my inner self, my feelings, the things I'm attracted to, what I dream about, how I interpret certain concepts or phenomena etcetera (this also includes some of my "documentary" photos, but not all of them). It's exactly because they reflect my inner self to a greater degree than "just a pretty picture"-photos that it's a bit scary to post them, especially if I myself don't fully understand what is being reflected yet; it's more comfortable to keep them close to my chest so to speak, and try to decipher them on my own.

Ultimately, I think displaying my photos can be a very useful tool to grow as a photographer ("pretty pictures"), and perhaps through other people's response to my "reflective" photos I'll be able to increase my understanding of myself too, but so far I'm being very selective about the people to whom I'm willing to show these.

Because I can't paint or play a music, lol!

While that is said in some gest, it is truthful. I have other hobbies as well, and its the only one that allows me to be creative. I'm also halfway decent at it(well, sort of). The way I look at it is that if I'm going to travel or hike like I do, why not take photos instead of just casual snapshots? Why not try to make the journey a little more memorable? I know others on here make a living off of photography or take pictures for the sake of taking pictures because they enjoy it. I have learned through my own experiences that I don't think I'm this sort of photographer. I suppose what I am saying is that I need a reason to take pictures(ie motivation). On an everyday basis, the creative opporotunities aren't there(or I'm not seeing them), so I feel that when I do have those opporotunities, I need to make the best of them.

Why photography?

One of the things that I enjoy about photography is that it can be a very solitary experience if you want it to be. You can be in the middle of a crowd but in your own little world. Looking but not touching. Observing but not interacting.

I didn't choose photography simply for the end product but the process that goes into creating the end product. I've found that I prefer to take a more deliberate and analytical approach, to think about the combination of elements that come together to make an image. Essentially it makes photography a mental exercise, something to focus on and distract from other influences. I also find that it gives me a greater connection to an image when I remember the details of how it was created, even down to the equipment used.

I react to an image on two levels. The first being the content of the image itself, and the second being the memory of the how, what, when, where, and why behind the image. The images themselves become a visual record to trigger memories that my misfiring brain might otherwise forget. If I use a more spontaneous, scattergun approach I lose that connection. It's kinda like fishing with dynamite: number of shots goes up, hit rate goes down, down, down. The connection to the image is lost, as though it was taken by someone else.

I came to this conclusion after reaching something of a saturation point earlier this year, where I had started to lose interest in photography. At the time it was a matter of asking myself the same question being asked in this thread: Why photography?

It could be photography which is done purely for the gratification or purpose of someone else. Photography that suits someone else' desires. There's a ratio of 'how much is this for my pleasure and creative vision, and how much is it for theirs?'

I'm really trying to say that I don't understand how this activity could be regarded as selfish ... the point of asking what would be "unselfish photography" was to emphasise that it seems a meaningless distinction ... "selfish" is usually used with a pejorative connotation ... yet I pick up a camera, I see the image, I press the shutter release ... there's always a "sefl" involved! ... it would be possible to construct contrived examples of "unselfish" photography I'm sure ... just as it would be possible to think of contrived examples of "selfish" photography (say, someone who becomes so obsessed with taking snaps that their family goes hungry ...) but then I suppose we're entering the realms of the pathological ...

The remark was made about a statement that I made and I never though to it in the “pejorative connotation.” If I had I would have gone ballistic and started shooting :rolleyes:. I thought of selfish as concerned chiefly with one's own personal pleasure and indeed that is why I do photography. The only problem is often there is not as much pleasure but more obsession in doing it.

Now to unselfish photography, if you overlook making money, I did that for three years. Shooting portraits, weddings, products and anything that other people wanted and needed to be photographed. In the beginning I took pride in it as I was good at it but after a while it became only a way to put bread on my table, it had become a job in the worst sense. Duplicating 250 slide shows may be profitable but it was not artistically rewarding. I found a more interesting job and gave up “unselfish photography” and now practice selfish photography.

If others like my images it gives me a glow and I am certainly happy for them but in the end I am taking the images for me and if I like or dislike them it is my visions I have to answer too.

Oh and I do, post and show my images and give lectures but this, again, is more about me. In the end the only unselfish act I do with my photography is teach.

Thanks again all. This has been very very insightful indeed and offers a lot of food for thought...even when this thread moves into the archives I'll be dusting it off intermittently for a stocktake.

Nic, you've seen through my charade :blush: The impetus for starting this thread was very much for the reasons that you had reached when nearing your saturation point. I'd not turned off the image making exercise per se, but had reached a point with gear where I have tried a few different things and then wondered what next? But it dawned on me that that was the wrong question, it wasn't "what next" but "why?". The bigger question that underlies all the research, all the buying and selling, all the anticipation.....all for what? Then I thought that process was all a distraction, and it most certainly IS a distraction, from why I photograph. Now I'm not demonising GAS, but it was getting in the way. However, I think it was a necessary exercise in discovering what I essentially need to derive what I essentially want from photography. So as Don (streetshooter) said, you need a camera that doesn't get in the way of your vision....PERFECT! A short statement screaming a simple truth - thanks Don! After many many years of toing-and-froing the X100 has delivered a better interface between me, the world and what I want to say. No it's not the high ISO, lazy AF, etc ;) but the simple controls and that viewfinder. As Nic and others mentioned there is such power in the individual and solitary exercise, and the X100's interface allows me to get lost in that world. Hey it's not perfect but it's just good for me!

On the topic of me, me, me, I must also mention that I appreciate the honesty of bartjeej and pdh on the topic of the selfishness of photography. I meant no offence with these statements and I have to agree that it is a subjective, self-reflective and often self-gratifying exercise....for me anyway ;) So please don't misinterpret my offhandedness as some sort of self-righteousness. It's an uncomfortable debate, but one where I defer to the 'selfish' camp. I've done enough years in philosophy to know that, as unintuitive as it might be, it's certainly easier to defend a solipsist (only I exist) position than trying to even prove the very existence of 'other minds' :blush:

Thanks again all....superb input and honesty. Have I yet stated how much I love this site!

OK. Here's an honest answer. I'll take a little courage in that no one ever reads to page 3 on these philosophical posts anyway :)

Background:
I started in earnest with the birth of my first born. So many changes in so little time as they grown, means LOTS of photographic opportunities. But, I started with a 1.3 megapixel point and shoot. Lots of nasty looking shots. That led to gear hunting, through Sony, into the Canon Elphs, then Canon g Series, Panny, DSLR, micro four thirds (to cut down on size/weight).

Also, I USED to travel a lot, so I also had an opportunity to take pictures for myself as I traveled. So, kids and travel.

Lately, though, my day job work is all local (mostly working from home), which frankly has left me dry. One nice thing about new gear, is it allows you to explore a new vision of the same-old/same-old. I now have about 6 years+ of pictures from my local area, and the series of changes is very interesting. But now I'm running out of the passion to change gear (just don't want to chase the newest thing much anymore, tired of shipping used gear out and in, etc.), my kids are getting older and started calling me "camera guy" which startled me a bit, and now I don't travel as much. Additionally, my spouse has lost her patience with me shooting while we are traveling together, which has further cut down on my opportunities.

So, for me right now, I'm in a dry period. I'm not feeling the inspiration (I think mainly due to being in the same location for too long) and feeling a little embarrassed for the reputation I've apparently built.

I am hoping, though, that the change in season will bring on some new vision. I've not found summer itself that inspirational anyways. Heat, everything's green, blinding light, and the golden hour is too early in the morning :)

I guess this isn't a direct answer to the original question, but it's how I'm feeling about shooting right now. Why Photography? One reason is family remembrances, the other is personal vision, but currently struggling with the latter. Sorry if this is off-topic.

Not off topic, wt21, but rather an offshoot. (y)

I think when one hits a "dry spell" in many areas that, for me, it's kind of like "trying to remember" or playing Trivial Pursuit (remember that game?)...where the harder one tries the more elusive whatever it is becomes. Of course this approach doesn't work for everything in life...but I think it might help with creativity.

On a different tangent, David AKA Soundimageplus had a recent blog entry that flies in the face of demonizing G.A.S. and is an interesting way to consider the value of different cameras and lenses...which, believe it or not, does come around to "Why Photography?" in its own way. You might want to take a read when you have time: Stimulation, new gear and constantly starting over. In this blog he references Kirk Tuck.... So there we go another tangent to this evolving train of thought!

Here is a more in-depth response as to why photography.

First, some background. My brain shifted in grad school when I trained as a graphic designer, and at that time my visual mind woke up. Over the years my work has shifted from graphic design to interaction design - both are creative and both are visual, but interaction design is more analytical. So analytical, and so hands off (mouse and keyboard), that I began to crave something more hands on. I dabbled with cooking, bookmaking, drawing, but not photography. When my son was born I wanted to buy a more capable camera to begin to capture the family life. That's how it all started.

Second, being a designer, I admit to liking the equipment itself - the industrial design, the form factors, the operation of cameras and lenses. I have the same fetish with stereo equipment.

But the equipment is ultimately a means to an end. As to why I was not previously interested in photography, that is hard to say. Perhaps through the Internet I was exposed to alternate forms of photographic visual expression not often seen outside of the local bookstore. That, and I simply started to use my first good camera in creative ways. And I studied the work of many others. Wow, there is such an amazing history in this art form.

Over time as I have practiced photography and studied photography I have come to deeply appreciate and love it, and to begin to form my own personal style and meaning. By requirement, most of my work is documenting the family. There is time for little else since photography is an interest, not a career. But otherwise, for me photography is also a great way to capture the beauty of form and color in the natural world and in natural materials. And I love framing an image, I love large, bright viewfinders, I love the photographic narrative, I love the purposes that photography can serve, such as environmental landscapes. Everywhere I go now I look, I see and sometimes I capture.

Like everyone else I have ups and downs, but I persevere. My mind won't let me stop. Most of what I read today is related to photography - it seems to have filtered into every aspect of my life

Ultimately, I'm a landscape photographer. The beauty in the land, and the impact of human habitation. That is my end goal in photography - to see the land and share what I see with others. I have started an in-depth study of the great landscape photographers of the past century and beyond. I am interested in both traditional and boundary-pushing interpretations of landscape photography. Someday, I hope to have more time to put my pictures together to tell landscape stories.

I also have a deep fondness for dark B&W photography.

Finally, I love being outdoors and photography gets me outdoors.

That's why. Art, cameras, the land, and meaning.

:)

BTW I'd like to say I appreciate this thread and so many others here on SC. I don't know what it is that attracts such a crowd, but people here are respectful, pleasant, thoughtful and have a real interest in photography itself.

When it comes to dry spells, with many hobbies, new equipment sometimes ignites the flames. I know this is true for my other two hobbies, bowling and astronomy.

I find that dry spells are partially relieved by photography books. Used, they are cheap (unless they are collector's books, in which case...). Scratches, yellowing, inscriptions... no matter. The pictures matter. I just received one 2 days ago (an Elliot Porter book) that was inscribed to "Grandma" for Christmas in very illustrative handwriting. Kind of cute.

Back