Fuji Why use half-cases?

The camera is "at the ready".....no need to dig into the bag. It's also a preference for a "look". I occasionally carry a bag if I need more than just my camera, but I prefer the simplicity of just a camera.

Yeah, a lot of it is a traditional style factor. But think about it: The reason to use any case is to provide protection. And, in this instance, even if you're using both the top and bottom halves that these cases often feature, you need only pull the top half forward and the camera is ready in a second or two. A lot faster than unzipping a camera bag and pulling the camera out - even faster than a sling bag. And if you're only using the bottom half of the case, you still have a considerable amount of protection and it's just as fast as having no case at all.

i really only have cameras as fashion accessories.
I like a leather half-case because then they look a bit more chic
And because I adore the feeling of leather next to my skin.

Insert : OMG! Snigglesnigglesnicker!!!!!

Ahem. Yes, well.. snicker.

Anyway, what evades me is yes a halfcase is very useful for hanging the camera around your neck and having it at the ready not to mention they can look slick but what I don't get is why people make only the bottom, purchase only the bottom. The snap off tops seem, to me, to make the cases more useful. Here is an entire protective case you can toss in your carry on bag or flip into the back seat when you are traveling.. and take the top off when you are ready to go. Vs.. Here is a half case and you still need to wrap your camera in a towel or something protective in your luggage.. just a weirdness to me that screams "I am all about image". Protect the lens too!

^ Still snickering at Paul.

Me too, but are there any eveready cases (whole cases with a top) for the X-E1 + the 18-55 zoom lens? So far I have only seen half cases. Would be nice.

I just ordered this one yesterday http://www.kaza-deluxe.com/detail.php?id=172. I use only the bottom half 80% of the time, but for the small price difference it's nice to have the top part as well. I believe it fits all the current lenses.

I'm going into a darkened room (on my own) for a couple of hours now, so I shan't derail the poor OP's thread any more this evening. Love the new avatar btw Kristen.

After getting a half case for my M9 I was hooked. The handling of the camera changed dramatically for the better; I don't really use it for protection, just to ensure a better grip on the camera. I have a Zhou case on my M7 and the official Fuji half case for my X100. Amusingly, I don't use the top section of the Fuji case, only the lower.

On an entirely serious note, Mr Zhou makes beautiful affordable leather cases and halves for all sorts of cameras. Have a look at eBay seller jioZhou

Wow Luke, that's beautiful (but not exactly cheep :()! Is the dealer reliable?

It really pained me to pay that for a piece of leather, but when I factored it in to the total overall cost of the whole kit, it's actually a small percentage of the whole :redface:. I have this manufacturer's case for my X100 and it is beautiful. The difference between a case priced like this and the cheaper ones is the feel of the leather. This one feel like an old baseball glove, a real quality piece of cowhide. The synthetic leathers have certainly gotten better over the years, but if you appreciate the difference between leather and "pleather (plastic leather)" then it may be worth the extra $60-$80 to you. In the end, it was to me.

I also like the battery/memory card slot cut-out on the bottom. I have had other cheap ones before without it and I end up leaving them off the camera because I try to shoot every day and want to see the photos and need access to the card. So with the bottom access point, I leave it on all the time, it's better protected and I use it more giving it more value.

As for the dealer being reliable, the website is also the manufaturer (I believe). But I bought mine through an eBay listing where I have protection through eBay AND through Paypal.

Back