1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Will Ricoh ever produce a digital GR21?

Discussion in 'Ricoh Forum' started by Roh, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Roh

Roh SC Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    Hi guys

Having very recently joined the Ricoh club and become a real fan boy, I'm giving serious thought to getting one of their original GR film cameras

Obviously the GR21 has earned a bit of cult status but in your opinion do you think they could produce a digital APSC version without compromising on the current small body?

2. nycbliss

nycbliss SC Rookie

Aug 23, 2012
    You could just grab a GW-3 for $180. It makes the camera a little chunkier, but from the samples I've seen, the photos look nice and sharp. The Ricoh GR is somewhat of a niche item, so I'm sure a digital GR21 reiteration would be even moreso.

3. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    I would buy one in a second, biggest photo mistake I ever made was not buying a GR21 when I went to Tokyo for the first time many years ago.

4. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

The problem at least in the US, is that the gw-3 as not been released here yet. The only ones u c are for more than msrp. The normal on line stores like b&h, adorama don't have it yet. I asked one of them, they told me Ricoh has not released to the states yet. Hopefully, they will et around to it.

But given this adapter, the probability of a digital gr21 seems remote.

Gary

5. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    I agree but I have never liked the GR with the adapter

6. Roh

Roh SC Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    Yes the gw3 is an option but ultimately its an add on. It would be great - if it were possible, to have a 21mm digital GR in a "pure" form.

7. aleksanderpolo

aleksanderpolo SC Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Polo
    Another option is GXR-M + CV15. It is not GR small, but it is still small and balance really well.

8. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ricoh recently filed a patent for a lens equivalent to 21-84mm f1.8-2.8 for a 1/1.7" sensor. If this materializes as a camera, it could be a GR21-alike, with the added benefit of zoom and wide aperture.

Ricoh 4.6-18mm F1.8-2.8 (1/1.7")ã®ç‰¹è¨±ï¼šã‚¨ãƒ³ã‚¸ãƒ‹ã‚¢ã®å—œã¿ï¼šSo-netブログ

Not aps-c, but certainly a lot of fun! Would most likely be just as good, photographically, as the Panasonic LX7. As for an aps-c version, it might be a bit of a squeeze to get a 21mm lens into a current GR.

9. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I'd just like a 45-50mm equivalent :)

Sent from another Galaxy

10. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

Gr form factor and a 40 fov lens on apsc count me in. I just picked up a gr... Decided that w/ 16mp, set to 35mm crop, I still have 10mp of usable info. But a 40 is my preferred lens choice. Since I never print bigger then 13x19, I don't think this should be a problem.

Gary

11. nycbliss

nycbliss SC Rookie

Aug 23, 2012
    When I first saw the release sheets for the GR I was hoping for the same thing. But I'm really growing fond of 28mm after shooting with just the GR for the past couple months. I used to hate it when I had a Panasonic 14mm, but to be honest, I never really gave the focal-length a chance since I adored the 20mm.

12. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

My problem is that I don't shoot 21 enough these days.

Gary

13. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    There is a subtle difference between the aps-c and small sensors in terms of field of view and aspect ratio. All the small sensor cameras have a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor, whereas the aps-c sensors are 3:2. While you can obviously crop the 4:3 image to be 3:2, this decreases the field of view and essentially makes an image that is less wide than from aps-c. I noticed this when comparing images from the Olympus OM-D and Panasonic GH3 with the Ricoh GR. You get less field of view horizontally in the 4:3 sensor, although the 4:3 image is taller.

This means that a 21-84mm lens on a small 1.1/7" sensor would be more like 22.5 or less if cropped to 3:2. Panasonic understood this issue and has cameras that use multi-aspect ratio sensors, so rather than cropping the image, the image expands vertically or horizontally depending on the selected ratio. As Ray has mentioned, the Panasonic LX7 has a 24mm lens at 4:3, but at 16:9, the field of view is more like 21-22mm. Not bad at all.

14. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I have mine defaulted to 35mm, but I resent the waste. I would far rather use the full sensor. That said, can you imagine the same crop facility on a native 40mm...?

Sent from another Galaxy