1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Windows, a big pink bunny, and a tunnel...

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by entropic remnants, Aug 15, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Poor unhappy bun :(

3. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Great stuff, John. The bunny scares me a bit, though.... expect for his head to suddenly spin around.

4. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Thanks, all.

Kyle, I have never turned it around and looked it in the face. I just don't... I don't want to be surprised...

5. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    You couldn't make that bunny one up ... (or could you?)

Surreal & Grimey - I like it.

6. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Those are really, really cool photos

7. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    So niiiice! You and that X100 seem to be a bonding?...

8. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! No, the bunny is real and I AM bonding with the X100!

Somebody set that bunny up some time ago, but I don't know who. There's a homeless guy "living" in the building and I scared him out again I'm afraid. Sometimes he's there, sometimes he's not. Maybe he, one of his predecessors, or some local kid set that up -- but it's not recent whoever did it.

Thanks all!

9. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    One more from this trip. This large safe is surrounded by thick, very hard stone blocks and a double locked mechanism. Nobody has opened it in over 40 years.

These safes were necessary in the days of "pay packets" before paychecks when folks were given cash packets at the end of the week. Also, nearly impregnable fortresses like this one were good for keeping trade secrets in. Back in the day, security was strictly a physical matter.

NOT HDR. A single shot on the X100 with the OOC JPG processed to look like this.

9552286102_c09f86a9f6_b.
    It is Quite Safe by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Love it. Auto-HDR, almost :)

11. You find the neatest places

12. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    LOVE the processing on these images. The window frames image is really really nice!!!

13. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lovely detail and tones on the safe door shot. The bunny still wins as an image, however. Brilliant and creepy.

14. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    I can just imagine the single tear running from its sad wee face. Poor bunny.

Wonderful pictures John.

15. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    To raising our "bar"

This series, illustrates, something that I and others have noticed. That Most photographers work, seems to have a certain "look", no matter what the subject matter. John, your work has a "richness", and something else, that I can't explain, that sets you apart from "average". When I see entropic remnants at the head of a post, I have an anticipation of something well done. Encourages me to work just a bit harder, to improve my own "look".

Thanks, for the higher "standard", :2thumbs:

16. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Stephen, your post is literally making me a little teary-eyed. That kind of feedback makes one feel that they are really are finding a "voice" or "identity' in their art and I really, REALLY appreciate your comment, thank you.

17. Stan

Stan SC Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    California
    Stan
    Poor bunny :(

Very moody shots! I like the series very much for the style and evocative subject.

18. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Seems like Karen, Stan and I are the only ones who see a sad bunny as opposed to a creepy one. Hrrrmmmmm....

John I love your decrepit building shots, they really are wonderful.

19. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    These shots are superb. Three dimensional and mouthwatering. That bunny is a masterstroke, like something from an Alan Moore graphic novel.

Sent from another Galaxy

20. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    It's been an "interesting" (read: difficult) few days at work this week -- but you guys have definitely lightened my mood and thank you all for the kind words!