Wine Tasting in Solvang

Gary

All-Pro
Name
Gary Ayala
With the O15mm Lens Cap:

GRAA0018-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Our first stop was breakfast at Paula's, great Danish Pancakes.
OM-D w/ O15mm, 1/90, F/8, ISO 200

GRAA0067-XL.jpg

The first taste, Carivintas. Carivintas donates a portion of their profits to non-profit Animal Rescue Organizations. Carivintas uses portraits of rescued animals on their labels and they craft excellant wines.
OM-D w/ O15mm, 1/60, F/8, ISO 12800

GRAA0097-L.jpg

This is Diego Red, named after the vinter's dog, a very handsome Black Lab. A brought a bottle of Diego home with me.
OM-D w/ O15mm, 1/60, F/8, ISO 2500

GRAA0079-L.jpg

Solvang is a very dog friendly little town. There were dogs everywhere. Every tasting room welcomed man's best friend and made sure there was water for the pooches.
OM-D w/ O15mm, 1/60, F/8, ISO 3200

GRAA0024-XL.jpg

Solvang is a tourist trap based upon Scandinavian architecture and culture. Just by happenstance, the town resides in the middle of some world class vineyards (Pinot Noir).

Gary

PS- The Red Viking has the best abelskiver in Solvang, complete with this wonderful home-made raspberry jam.
G

GRAA0134.jpg

So, dogs are not allowed a little w(h)ine...

Very nice. In a few month, I hope to have a bottle of Chateau de Hikari. My annual hard cider is brewing as we type...

So, dogs are not allowed a little w(h)ine...

Very nice. In a few month, I hope to have a bottle of Chateau de Hikari. My annual hard cider is brewing as we type...

Dogs are carded, so make sure they bring their ID's.

GRAA0117-L.jpg

Dascomb Cellars pairs wine with cheese. Brought home a selection of each.
OM-D w/ O15mm, 1/10, f/8, ISO 2500

I'd like to get in my pre-order for a case of The Chateau.

Gary

PS- Maybe I'll barter with some of my home-brew. I'm growing Chardonnay, Zinfandel, Pinot Noir and Thompson grapes in the backyard.
G

Well, I am just starting this hard cider thing. This will be my third year. Now, normally a hard cider is about 5-6% alcohol. Unfortunately, mine has been coming out to about 12%. It is nice, more like a wine than a cider, but it is a little on the hard side. I am not sure I can ship this over state lines legally.

How can you be growing grapes--it is winter. They don't like the snow. You see, this is why I joined. Folks are going to get this strange idea you can grow grapes and fruit all year round. They are going to get soft--the people, not the fruit. You need a Maine winter garden diet--bark, lichen, and snow. If we are still hungry, we suck on a stone. That is how real men live. That soft living is going to ruin you--it certainly is annoying me.

LOL ... just polished off some backyard guacamole, the citrus is coming-in like gangbusters, the branches are nearly breaking with Navel and Mandarin oranges, Meyer lemons and limes. We had a bumper crop of persimmons also. Should you screw up the cider again with high alcohol, I'd be happy to assist in its ultimate disposal.

Gary

PS- It rained here last night, everything was all wet this morning.
G

Rub it in G! I have two sisters who live in Michigan.Part of the burden of living in Southern California is that we must compare our weather to those less fortunate.
Nice shots.Is that second one really 12,800?Wow! Btw, she could pour me bath water and I'd drink it!

Rub it in G! I have two sisters who live in Michigan.Part of the burden of living in Southern California is that we must compare our weather to those less fortunate.
Nice shots.Is that second one really 12,800?Wow! Btw, she could pour me bath water and I'd drink it!

Thanks David. Just checked again, yep ISO 12800, just hit the exposure spot-on. The older I get the more I appreciate SoCal weather. And ... the image does do justice to Catherine. If I was younger, I may have spend the entire day at Carivintas. She's from Manhattan, ended up in Solvang for a change of pace.

Gary

GRAA0169.jpg

We had dinner at The Cold Springs Tavern, an old stagecoach stop built in 1865. Good food, leaky windows.
OM-D w/O12mm, 2/3, f/2, ISO 3200

Was just around there for a wedding this past summer. Great time! I took the kids to Paula's for breakfast early one morning. They loved it.

Cool stuff Gary - man, you're really going nuts with that bodycap, no? I wouldn't have thought to use it for this type of application, with a fair amount of fairly low light shooting. But I guess the sensor is good enough to pull it off. Jeez, 12,800 - that's a step farther than I've taken these sensors but looks pretty good at this size and with a model like that, who's looking at noise?

Solvang is well know for being, among other things, a great winter training ground for bike racers. Lance and the US Postie boys used to do winter camps there. I wonder if that's where they got the drugs? :)

-Ray

Back