WINNER ANNOUNCED - 15th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge: The Kitchen

Now that I have drawn breath........there were a couple of close calls. The cluttered dining table. I showed that to my wife, Rajiv to show my mess wasn't that bad LOL.
The chickens on the griddle reminded me of a few of the low end.....ahem.......gentlemens clubs I had been in to...in the course of duty obviously.

Thanks for the mad dash at the end, I appreciate the effort made.

OK, here we go. For me, photography is a gut thing. It can tickle my funny bone or bring me to tears. Doesn't have to be technically well carried out. It just must have impact....punch, like love at first sight (even if it does end up in the divorce court!)

In this salon, I saw a photo which instantly took me back many many years when I was part of a team which investigated the death of a child at the hands of a step father.

John Griggs...... I won't burden you with the detail, but the kitchen (in the 1st shot I hasten to add) would be considered very serviceable by the couple and every tiny piece of grit, dirt, grease, rust wrung from that photo equals a memory that you believe is tucked away, deep in the vaults but is; in fact, merely a scratch away. The kitchen, for me, embodied everything about the family.

The power of photography! You brought it back for a short while. I am none the worse for it, as it makes me a better human being. Sorry to burden you with a win like this John

So, wring out your hankies, put on some happy music and spread some love.

John Griggs, the 16th Salon is all yours.

I would like to thank my wife, and the members of the Academy... oh wait, that's my fantasy... nevermind.

THANKS VERY MUCH!

I was NOT expecting this at all. I saw a post that said "Hey you lot!" urging us to come over here and I'd ignored this thread because I knew I'd very little from any kitchen. I hated the idea of this challenge dying, even though I don't often participate (or at all maybe?) so I came over and put those down.

I shall blather a bit more about this picture. It was part of a submission to be juried for inclusion into an online art show at the Projekt30 arts community last August and the "curator" used the kitchen photo as the icon into my exhibition that month when I was juried in. That show is here: Projekt30 August 2012 Monthy Exhibition

I like getting in over there as it's mixed art being submitted to jury, and it's a public jury. So you are competing against things other than photography to be included.

That old house is not far from where I live, and is really a serviceable little place that has been left open to rot, right along a major highway. I've never understood it and wish I knew the story behind the place. For all the dark lonely places I've been to, that house creeps me out more than anything else. Another one of my favorite pictures I've taken comes from there and it's this one:

7178274951_357e2224dc_c.jpg

Reboot: Escher Chandelier by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Again, THANK YOU! Very unexpected and encouraging.

Getting us to participate in the last one was like pulling teeth, lol. I got goaded into playing (and glad I did, lol) -- but I generally don't do a lot of these.

It's the winner's privilige to choose a topic and host the next salon challenge. You are certainly within your rights to pass on it. But just give us a firm yes or no so we can proceed with the next one. (Sue, you may need to choose a runner-up if John declines....or host another one yourself)

It's the winner's privilige to choose a topic and host the next salon challenge. You are certainly within your rights to pass on it. But just give us a firm yes or no so we can proceed with the next one. (Sue, you may need to choose a runner-up if John declines....or host another one yourself)

I did not know that, sorry. Okay, I'll come up with something. Thanks for letting me know.

Not me, it was Pete who hosted the last. But, I see John has come up with an esoteric topic which may well defeat me! Except... theres just one thing... maybe...

Back