WINNER ANNOUNCED ... 27th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge "Album Cover"

My hubby laughed at me because I didn't know who Joni Mitchell was. Did I say I was a clueless muppet when it comes to music?! A colleague at work has not yet forgiven me for not knowing who Neil Young is. What can I say, my youth were the 1980s/90s. More a Stone Roses fan than the Rolling Stones. But having a visit to youtube, I did recognise Joni's 'Big Yellow Taxi". I still have no clue who Neil Young is, other than my colleague at work's god!

Sighhh, you youngsters!

Jackson Browne? James Taylor? Michael Franks?

Some very very good skillful presentations ……… I do not know how you choose

The process made over the last few years in the skills developed is really being shown

Well done you!!

Thanks!
I will post the original after this is over.
Great fun making this and seeing the variety of submissions.

I love the way the colours pop on this one. After the salon has finished I'd like to see the pre-processed shot as I've no idea what I'm looking at, except of course an Ice Volcano that is climbing high!

Jake Bugg is fantastic, but you need to fill in some of those major knowledge gaps ASAP. There's a reason people flip out when you say you've never heard Neil Young. Even if he doesn't float your boat, I guarantee there are 15 more artists out there with massive back catalogs who you would fall in love with if you dug around.

Ok, I am in at last. Rarely do I take a new photo for one of these challenges, but I could not resist since this gig was already in my diary. It was two nights ago, but my ears have only just stopped ringing :D

The Stranglers did actually start as The Guildford Stranglers so it was appropriate for me to see them again 32 years after my first time (on the occasion of their 40th year in the business) in the venue that was built on the site of the old Guildford Civic Hall.

Anyway, enjoy ;)
31432599.20c2a8ce.1024.jpg

The Guildford Stranglers par Lightmancer, on ipernity

Ok, I am in at last. Rarely do I take a new photo for one of these challenges, but I could not resist since this gig was already in my diary. It was two nights ago, but my ears have only just stopped ringing :D

The Stranglers did actually start as The Guildford Stranglers so it was appropriate for me to see them again 32 years after my first time (on the occasion of their 40th year in the business) in the venue that was built on the site of the old Guildford Civic Hall.

Anyway, enjoy ;)
31432599.20c2a8ce.1024.jpg

The Guildford Stranglers par Lightmancer, on ipernity

I played their "Aural Sculpture" until the grooves wore out when I was in high school. Now I prefer the darker earlier works, but your photo (and story) made me go back and revisit my youth.......
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/jMiIe-VLGPY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/jMiIe-VLGPY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

My hubby laughed at me because I didn't know who Joni Mitchell was. Did I say I was a clueless muppet when it comes to music?! A colleague at work has not yet forgiven me for not knowing who Neil Young is. What can I say, my youth were the 1980s/90s. More a Stone Roses fan than the Rolling Stones. But having a visit to youtube, I did recognise Joni's 'Big Yellow Taxi". I still have no clue who Neil Young is, other than my colleague at work's god!
Sighhh, you youngsters!

Jackson Browne? James Taylor? Michael Franks?
Sue

Stephen Foster? Jelly Roll Morton? Ella Fitzgerald? Surely these.

image46.jpg

I decided to do this cover for three primary reasons: 1) Shelagh is my cousin, 2) she's from Scotland, so Karen, you might know of her?, 3) she's an excellent vocalist , composer & musician with an extraordinary backstory.

Shelagh released 2 albums in the early 70's and was thought to be on the brink of possible stardom, when she suddenly disappeared from sight.......for 30 years! She has just recently resurfaced and started to resume performing and recording. If you're interested in reading more about Shelagh, here's a link to her website: Shelagh McDonald

Back