Winner announced: 33rd Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - The Space Between

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges' started by donlaw, Feb 22, 2017.

1. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    It is my pleasure to be curating the next in a long line of excellent challenges from this group!
    Our theme this time will be The Space Between. This could be the space between people, buildings, pets, etc... You get the idea. Interpretation of the theme is open for creativity.

This challenge will run from today, Feb. 22nd, through Friday March 17th, and end at some point in my timezone (US Central) on that evening. Last minute entries are welcome, until the announcement that the challenge is closed for judging.

Some Rules:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon.

Good luck and have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    This sounds interesting. :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    My interpretation of the space between is a photograph I took this afternoon. Strolling on the rural lane near my house in a small Oregon town. It was near dusk but it seemed to be a time in between light and darkness - it had been raining and stopped and seemed to be a time partway in between rain and non-rain - there were clouds massed in the sky but some open spaces and directly in front of me there were what looked like swirling layers of mist - somewhere in between clouds and clear air -

The camera is my old GX1 which was converted to an infrared only camera - so the resulting infrared monochrome shot is somewhere in between the red end of the visible spectrum, and the invisible frequencies of the microwave spectrum -

I am just outside of city limits here, in what used to be farmland but is being slowly converted, or eroded, into either commercial or residential developments, so this space, too, is, literally, a space between - between town and farm, between a simpler past and a more complex future -

And lastly, and intentionally, though initially it seemed to be a landscape, I kept my shadow in the frame, to once again muddy the waters between portrait and landscape -

And to keep this shot somewhere in the middle.

Here it is -

44358894.d2e19c39.1024.
    February Clouds
    by MiguelATF, on ipernity

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'll follow up Miguel's amazing photo with a trivial one meant to bring a smile. I reserve the right to replace this shot later if I find something better.

Sometimes though the space may not be great, the effect can seem immense. Charlie is mere inches away from this delicious-looking chipmunk, but the thickness of that double-pane window means it may as well be across the Grand Canyon....he'll never get him.

14446878245_0c9a00b81a_b. tantalizingly close by Luke, on Flickr

• Like Like x 19
  5. dougpayne

dougpayne SC Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    C.D. Payne
    In the space between your wigwams plant a wigwam-shaped bush.

wigwam.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Somewhere; in between the cradle and the grave, there is life. It may be long or short, good or bad.......dreams may be fulfilled or not. Whatever, it is what you make of it. The cradle seems such a long time ago. I have fewer years left than I started with. Trying to keep the grave out of my busy schedule and having some fun.

12776582224_d86280c99a_c. Cradle to Grave.....Napier Style!!!! by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I've realised as I age, that lateral thinking is becoming more difficult. So here's my very concrete offering...

IMG_0366.JPG

• Like Like x 14
  8. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Great images! This is getting interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. emerson

emerson SC Regular

Oct 2, 2015
    Maritime Canada
    David Emerson
    DSCF0534.

For me, this one comes to mind: one quiet afternoon at the Halifax Citadel, and the place between walls and sky, past and present, solitude and gathering.

• Like Like x 12
  10. . . . may not be as much as it seems _DSC0770.JPG

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 15
    • Funny Funny x 5
  11. muzee

muzee SC Veteran

Apr 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 12
  12. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    The space between..... can be joined!

DSC09125-Edit.

• Like Like x 15
  13. Michael T

Michael T SC Top Veteran

Jul 31, 2011
    The High Plains
    Michael
    The Space Between the Railing
    P8020024.

• Like Like x 14
  14. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    Or the lack of space between:
    catdog-L.

• Like Like x 10
  15. ricks

ricks SC Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Window display. 170227-Relonch critters-DSCF5638.

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Cool shot, Michael : - )

17. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    • Like Like x 13
  18. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    It is such a joy to see the Challenge results. I missed it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Top Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    DSCF4868a.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  20. michealj

michealj SC Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Twin Cites, MN