WINNER ANNOUNCED - The 30th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - NOT another cliché

I've just now seen this challenge and find it a great idea.

Here's a recent shot from me; got it after I realized that part of a fashion billboard is being reflected in the mirror of "beauty stop station", giving it a bizarre twist.

I don't think anyone would get the irony of it without this written explanation, thought, but at least I find the juxtaposition amusing.

May I score some additional oddity points for presenting a street shot in color rather that usual BW?

PICTOGRAMAX_-_2014_-_MYSTAX.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shadow Flight, hopefully atypical travel photo...

url=Shadow Flight]
14223842057_49674bd725_b.jpg
[/url]Shadow Flight by donlaw200, on Flickr

Well, this has been a fascinating salon to judge - some really creative and interesting interpretations of the theme. Quite a bit of humour on display too, which I really appreciate.

Honourable mentions:
Petach - "blonde, tattooed, baited" - I laughed out loud when I saw this. A bit embarrassing since I was on a packed train at the time, and the screen on my 'phone is quite large...
Retow - "Fish market" - this is a story in macrocosm and a very strong composition
NathanCom - "My take on wildlife photography" - another that made me smile

Any of the above, on a normal day, could have taken the prize, but there was a stand-out winner from the moment I saw it.

ReD - "Portrait of Dementia" - a tremendously powerful and personal vision, that makes the viewer both uncomfortable and helps them to understand at the same time. It feels as if we are looking beyond the surface to the turmoil in the person underneath. Tremendous and a worthy winner.

My work here is done, the baton passed on. :)

Back