WINNER ANNOUNCED ! - The 4th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge : Gritty Black & White

p517841444-4.jpg

It took me some time to get a feeling for what to post here, I hesitated quite some time due to the sad nature of this picture. It was took while walking lonely by the lake, the weather was bad, cold, gusty winds and rain. When I found this bird I felt his own loneliness at the time of his death. There where a few leaves nearby that I reverently placed next to his wing, a tribute to our shared loneliness and the fragile condition of our existences.

photo12c.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PS: Hope no body will feel offended by this picture, taking pictures of death can be seen as offense, but I definitely have not taken this picture without any feelings...

Ok, here we go...

This thread has led to me re-evaluating many of the mono shots I have taken - what's "gritty", and what isn't. I was going to go with humour and actually took a shot for the purpose; I won't post it here but it is at the top of my Flickr stream if anyone is interested ;)

Instead I have gone with this one - it is a shot of my Son, taken back in January. It's actually an "out-take" from the SIJ but I still like it and I have it on my desk in the office. He was actually more hung-over than gritty but I think it still works! :D

View attachment 57297

Got back home and decided I wanted to go with something with more grit, so swapping in this one for my original submission.

Union Pacific had this steam locomotive, along with 50s vintage rail cars, parked a rail line near the Iowa State Fairgrounds this weekend. It looked like it was a public relations push as we saw a few yard signs protesting Union Pacific's plans to close some nearby streets to make room for more rail. Hmmm, I may have to side with the people with the big, black, steam-powered train set. Pretty cool stuff.

LR adjustments and then Nik for the mono and some Kodak T-Max grain. I need to work on my alignment skills, especially since now with a viewfinder and grid lines, I don't have much excuse to be off.

7766482398_694f64d6aa_c.jpg

Back