WINNERS SELECTED: 16th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge: A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

This is a crop from BW film shot using Ricoh 500 GX rangefinder - so must be a double Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss win with use of old gear + the image. Off course the busker may also have been playing a Rolling Stones tune in which its a triple win :)

Simon

Attachments

• 6999440902_5d4af2808e_o.jpg
    6999440902_5d4af2808e_o.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 176
Volcano

I think I'll add this one, it's volcanic rock and definitely has no moss! Nothing much grows here, just a few mangey looking weeds. We took a boat trip to this volcanic island a couple of days ago, we had 35 mins to reach the top and allowed ourselves 25 mins to get back down to the boat before the scheduled departure. It was a long hard hike up loose scree type rock and then pebbles, like a beach. I almost flagged as we rounded the last bend and allowed myself to be cajoled up the final summit. I'd like to say that it was worth it but I'm afraid there was nothing there to see!

8879327841_75b88d302a_b.jpg

Santorini Greek Islands by christilou1, on Flickr

The green colour around the edge of the water is caused by the sulphur.

Never thought my first ever photo uploaded to a forum would be a snap while wandering around the Appalachian Museum in Tennessee, but it sure seems to fit the topic.
DSCF0657.jpg

BTW, greetings...just joined this evening. Seems like a friendly place for an old fart, fairly new to photography - took the place of golf about 1.5 years ago. Much more expensive, but I enjoy it a lot more!

john

Never thought my first ever photo uploaded to a forum would be a snap while wandering around the Appalachian Museum in Tennessee, but it sure seems to fit the topic.john

With this saying my minds eye has always pictured a boulder rolling down a hill & I've always thought "WTF" - now with your picture it all makes perfect sense. Thanks.

that Range Rover is sexy
the car nerd in me feels compelled to note that it's a Land Rover (its descendents are nowadays known as Land Rover Defender), not a Range Rover. The RR is a (the?) luxurious offroader, initially built for (rich) landowners who wanted to get to some place of their estate that didn't have roads. The LR was designed as a farm vehicle, and is 100% functionality, 0% luxury.

the car nerd in me feels compelled to note that it's a Land Rover (its descendents are nowadays known as Land Rover Defender), not a Range Rover. The RR is a (the?) luxurious offroader, initially built for (rich) landowners who wanted to get to some place of their estate that didn't have roads. The LR was designed as a farm vehicle, and is 100% functionality, 0% luxury.

You are right on. A Range Rover at 110 mph is like 55 in a normal car. A Land Rover at 55 mph is like 110 in a normal car.

Plus, the Land Rovers had aluminum bodies, were dead simple to repair and maintain -- they were truly designed to be a reliable and maintainable offroad vehicle -- much like older Jeeps and the like. But the Land Rover's and older Toyota Land Cruisers and the like really had something special about them.

Plus, the Land Rovers had aluminum bodies, were dead simple to repair and maintain -- they were truly designed to be a reliable and maintainable offroad vehicle -- much like older Jeeps and the like. But the Land Rover's and older Toyota Land Cruisers and the like really had something special about them.

My fave anecdote. If you want to go out into the desert drive a Land Cruiser. If you want to get back again.....drive a Land Rover Defender.

Back