Winter, contre-jour

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by pdh, Dec 9, 2014.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm listing a bunch of classical CDs for sale on Amazon today and playing some to relieve the tedium. These images work great with Bach cantatas.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    not John Cale & Terry Riley Church of Anthrax ? :cool:

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I've actually never listened to that one despite being a big Terry Reilly fan. I think if they were in color, I'd go with "A Rainbow in Curved Air". :cool:

5. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    daisychaining, I used to know one of the founder members of Curved Air (no, not sonja kristina)

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    now I'm picturing you being a 70s ProgRocker running around with Long hair. That image doesn't jibe with the current one of the large format camera, tripod-wielding landscape photographer. But I guess we're all a lot more complex than a one sentence summation based on a few years' worth of quips and one-liners on a website. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    friend of mine knows Nik Turner, and many many moons ago my late father used to bump into Roger Waters (at a golf club, of all places ... but then most prog-rockers were nice middle class boys anyway)

Age catches up with us ...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I still remember vividly the first time I heard Hawkwind. I still take great delight in playing them for someone for the first time to see the look in their eyes. It's like throwing a switch.

9. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Nik is still gigging. He's getting on for 75 ...

10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    he played here a couple months ago. I heard it was great. I'll be happy to just not be drooling on myself at 75. I certainly won't be fronting a psychedelic juggernaut of a spacerock band.

But I seem to have derailed this thread, so to bring it back to the photos, I think "Hurry On Sundown" from Hawkwind's first LP would be perfect for the 3rd photo. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    yes you have. but I have been laying track as fast as I can too, like Gromit in "The Wrong Trousers"

12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    *off to Google "The Wrong Trousers"*

I've always love Gromit, but Wallace keeps me from watching more of these. I don't know if that is just my general preference for dogs to humans or the fact that Wallace is a buffoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuInK_N9cLM

• Like Like x 1
  13. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Nik Turner came round today and no-one thought to tell me or introduce me.

sigh

14. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Who is performing the Bach cantatas? Have a link?? I'm looking for any CD's of Bach Cantatas by Hermann Scherchen. I have most of the LPs, but would still be interested if you have any, just in case I'm missing one.

15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I have never seen the Scherchen versions of the cantatas on CD. I hardly ever see ANY of those Westminster LP titles on disc come to think of it. I forget who was conducting the ones I was listening to....I was testing out an SACD player I picked up from eBay to test all the SACDs I'm listing that may have some light scuffs or fingerprints. I have a bunch of the Gardiner discs if you're interested in any of those, although I've sold a few of them already.

16. I had no idea there was a name for this, I learned something today.

And I really like the second one.

• Like Like x 1