Wireless shutter release for threaded shutter buttons?

I found this forum query via google, when I was looking for something else.

If you don't want to do any DIY, one solution is the RemoteAll: REMOTE ALL Wireless Remote for ALL cameras! - byMaC Inventions

If you go to this video from make magazine that talks about building a pole camera setup, and start at about 1 minute 50 seconds into the video, he talks about using a servo from a radio control kit to hit the shutter: [video=vimeo;2815652]

Here is somebody else that built a servo: Ryosuke's Projects: Remote Shutter Release

I just got an arduino, and I've been toying with making a servo do the firing. However, I probably won't get back to it for a week or so:
2012-05-06-18-07-001-arduino.jpg

2012-05-06-18-19-002-arduino.jpg

Here is the Arduino code that I used in testing: http://www.the-meissners.org/arduino/ShutterServo-2012-05-06.pde

Wireless remote works by sending an infrared signal to your camera. The camera has a receiver on the front of it that picks up the signal from the remote and releases the shutter.No settings required.I thins It is very best for every body in this modern age.

Have you looked for an extra long cable release? I thought I saw one at one point but can't seem to find it now that I could use one myself! I do wish Fuji would have included an i.r. receiver with the x cameras, although most of the time I prefer a cable release. (cheaper too)!

There are cameras that support neither wired shutter release, nor infrared shutter releases. For example, many point and shoot cameras have neither capability. The Olympus E-PL1 camera also has neither IR or support for a wired shutter release. You can adapt a mechanical shutter release from a film camera to fire these cameras.

I remember some wireless releases from "way back when". Nikon made them in the 70s, were expensive. Other ones existed.

I miss Spiratone.

It's a power MOS switch with diode-clamped input driving a low-voltage solenoid. Hardest part would be the mechanical linkage between the solenoid and a cable release to the camera shutter button. A Pocket Wizard TX-RX pair would provide the RF link. I've thought about it for awhile, but haven't gotten to prototyping it.

Back