1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Woman killed for taking photo and refusing demand by panhandlers to pay $1

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Armanius, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    $1.00. What a sad, miserable messed up world this has become.

3. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    Well, this is a sad situation, but we've been a pretty messed up species as far back as written history exists.

4. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    I was going to say the EXACT same thing. This is insane!!!!

I now feel guilty. Yesterday I went to the service station (gas station) to buy milk on the way home and dropped a dollar on the floor, that rolled under the shelf. "Pffft, one dollar it's not worth losing my place in the queue and embarrassing myself by creakily bending down to find it" I thought. Little did I know that $1 could have saved a life. Jeez I'm selfish!

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Insane. Scary.

6. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    It's horrible that the woman lost her life taking photos-- and yet she was taking them of the homeless. She was amused by their rude sign with a smiley face on it, the article says. They are downtrodden and desperate, they are human beings. I would have asked first if I felt compelled to photograph and given more than a dollar. That doesn't justify their murder of her, not at all. Her future contributions to society via the engineering she was pursing could have brought welcomed change to even their world. Now no one will know what she could have achieved. But I also do not feel taking photos of the disadvantaged and then displaying them for people to croon over how streety they are is acceptable either. Maybe I am the only one to see the wrong in both sides but I think it needed to be said. And now they will get regular meals and a roof over their heads as punishment-- the very thing they were lacking. How twisted is all of it, seriously.

7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    A very sad story. I hear what you're saying, as well, Kristen. Many living on the streets are mentally ill.

8. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    It sure is twisted, especially when our prisons in Texas have cable TV!

But I'm unaware if the victim intended to display the cell phone photo for others to see.

9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Based on where I saw the discussion about this unfortunate event go on another forum, I'm going to avoid clicking on this thread again.

10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
  11. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I think it is the point of taking a photo of someone when they are at their lowest, and even then at their lowest, that photo isn't worth a dollar. Again I am not for what the homeless men did but I suppose I understand the anger and hurt. Society has reached a sad state where people can walk past their starving fellow man and even snap photos like they are potted plants and other people [in this case the homeless men] can so disregard the life of another human being and take it from them over a photograph. And like Nic, even though I didn't read the thread he is speaking of, I don't want to delve any further. It's a tragedy all around.

12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the woman being killed is a tragedy, and the thread that Nic speaks of over on Mu-43 has parts that make me think mental illness is more rampant than I already knew that it was.

Since we can't solve any of society's woes or bring this gal back from the dead, I'm closing this thread so it doesn't get as uncomfortable as the one over there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.