Ricoh Would You Buy a System Based Around Pentax Lenses?

snake

Veteran
I was wondering what you guys thought about this and if it was something people wanted.

I'm really interested in the Pentax primes and I'm hoping Ricoh comes up with a small, mirrorless system that can utilize them, whether GXR, or something completely new.

Many lenses are compact, reasonably priced, and older lenses would work fine and are plentiful as well.

Personally no.....I recently gave up on pentax after several years without the system I wanted and expected.

The main question should be;....Would you try to buy a system that does not exist from a company that never listens to or acknowledges their customers?.......

..........Still no moderate wide f2 after more than 10YEARS in the DSLR game and countless customers asking,..as a contrast, Leica sees the 35mm focal length as a primary lens choice and has had up to five in it's list at the same time,........pentax does not see the need and does not even comment on the matter.......

.....this to take but one subject among many. It's all very well making 'bottle-cap' lenses without proper ergonomics such as aperture ring or decent focussing ring or lenshood facility etc.,...but a 'system' needs to have the basics sorted out nd cover all of the main focal lengths and user needs. But then again, since I'm not a japanese school girl, I don't really need a purple DSLR with silver hi-lights.

I would not buy a camera based on any add on system. I have the GXR and am happy with the A12 units. I'd like a faster 35mm and could entertain an 85-90.

That being said, I will give the GXR around 6 months as it is. Then I would like adapters for different lenses that I have on the shelf. It's up to each of us to design our system.
If I needed a true compact System, I'd go to m43. It's growing and it's very versatile.

Hopefully the GXR will do likewise.

See, it also makes me wonder if Ricoh would make a system that could take advantage of the Pentax primes that would be outside of the GXR. Some speculate that the GXR is on borrowed time, but who really knows.

The reason I would want to base my purchase around the lenses is based on what I wrote in the initial post, along with a desire to be able to use a Pentax slr in the future, and when or if needs dictate, to transfer the lenses to a smaller cam for those occasions, preferably APSc. 4/3 has good and bad about it, but if it came down to it, despite how many steps forward they might be, I'd likely go the GXR route, Samsung, or wait and see what Fuji comes up with to replace the X100.

...or maybe I'll just buy some cheap Konica lenses and put them on my E510 ;)

I agree with Mike. I don't get "Borrowed Time". Not from you but many say that.
If I'm using a camera, I don't care of its in production or not. I'm using it because of what it does.

I'm good for a long time with the GXR.

Same here. I think Mike's statement was also tongue in cheek, with regards to obsolete cameras still being functional.

To me, I'm am more interested on the side of things where the lenses are considered the investment, not the body. So I want to be able to use the lenses across multiple bodies and even in different systems and I'm hoping the Pentax primes have the highest chance of this. Sony's solution to use their SLR lenses is terrible. Olympus is not optimal and I would like to move away from that. Pentax has nice support for their various primes, including the ability to use older ones on current cams. Some are quite compact.

We'll see, I guess. I'm hoping Ricoh does some great things with them.

Back