1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by kyteflyer, Jun 8, 2013.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    A canon EOS-M... with the 18-55 *and* the 22mm prime... if it was $299?

I'm mizzling. It seems like a good deal, but generally I don't like menu-diving and it looks like theres a lot of that with this camera...

Comments?

2. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    No.

But that's just me. I didn't like the EOS-M none. So many nicer bodies to have for that money.

3. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Supposedly a firmware update is coming to speed up autofocus. But when I looked at the the performance of that sensor -- it really isn't any better then our micro four thirds cameras. I saw one very cheap and considered -- but I'm really not getting anything but "another system" -- I don't see any real advantage over what I have.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Sue, I look at the gear in your signature and see 3 GREAT cameras. The Canon may not be as bad as the reviews say, but why find out? There's better things to spend that $300 on.

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    You're right, guys. Thanks for bringing me back to common sense! I think I may even add an older compact to my sig. Now I have the batteries for it, its back in service and I find I still like it (see the callistemon pods posted elsewhere), even though its "only" 3.2Mp, on a 1/2.5" sensor. It records in TIFF as well as jpg and thats good enough for me for some things.

6. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    Keep the USD 300, save some more, shoot the heck out that excellent X100 and upgrade to the X101 in 2-3 years.

7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    LOL! Nah, probably not. I think I'll get that VF-2 for my XZ. I also have a hankering for a PEN, and having the VF-2 already will be good. I suspect I am getting closer to selling my Pentax and old Minolta gear.

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I love the look that you get from the Canon sensors, with the caveat that you need to nurse them with respect to dynamic range compared to an Olympus/Samsung/Sony etc. $300 sounds like a steal, but the product just seems underdone. I'm sure that I could buy it and enjoy it but I don't see it adding anything to what I have.