Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by kyteflyer, Jun 8, 2013.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer [email protected]@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    A canon EOS-M... with the 18-55 *and* the 22mm prime... if it was $299?

I'm mizzling. It seems like a good deal, but generally I don't like menu-diving and it looks like theres a lot of that with this camera...

Comments?

2. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    No.

But that's just me. I didn't like the EOS-M none. So many nicer bodies to have for that money.

3. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Supposedly a firmware update is coming to speed up autofocus. But when I looked at the the performance of that sensor -- it really isn't any better then our micro four thirds cameras. I saw one very cheap and considered -- but I'm really not getting anything but "another system" -- I don't see any real advantage over what I have.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Sue, I look at the gear in your signature and see 3 GREAT cameras. The Canon may not be as bad as the reviews say, but why find out? There's better things to spend that $300 on.

5. kyteflyer

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    You're right, guys. Thanks for bringing me back to common sense! I think I may even add an older compact to my sig. Now I have the batteries for it, its back in service and I find I still like it (see the callistemon pods posted elsewhere), even though its "only" 3.2Mp, on a 1/2.5" sensor. It records in TIFF as well as jpg and thats good enough for me for some things.

6. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    Keep the USD 300, save some more, shoot the heck out that excellent X100 and upgrade to the X101 in 2-3 years.

7. kyteflyer

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    LOL! Nah, probably not. I think I'll get that VF-2 for my XZ. I also have a hankering for a PEN, and having the VF-2 already will be good. I suspect I am getting closer to selling my Pentax and old Minolta gear.

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I love the look that you get from the Canon sensors, with the caveat that you need to nurse them with respect to dynamic range compared to an Olympus/Samsung/Sony etc. $300 sounds like a steal, but the product just seems underdone. I'm sure that I could buy it and enjoy it but I don't see it adding anything to what I have.