WOW... Not something you see everyday....

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Mal, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Mal

Mal SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
    So there I was, sitting in our Conservatory after a days photography in the 'field' so to speak... I'd just taken the SD card out of my camera and copied it to my laptop... to look at the un-edited images of the day...

When I hear a bit of a commotion in the garden... I look up to see a Sparrowhawk over our pond as it glides towards the open door of the Conservatory... I'm thinking Wow look at that it will pull up in a second... but it flies straight into the Conservatory and bangs into the opposite window.... well as my camera is to hand... cant miss an oportunity like this....:wink:

Managed to get the double doors fully open then it flew out and away... The adrenalin is still pumping... so I'll go and edit all the images now... and look at the movie clip... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 9
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    wowowowowowow!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Mal, good stuff... I'm wondering how da byrd got da door open....
    Happy Labor Day Weekend...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Wow indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mal

Mal SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
    [video=youtube;-edfXjOdUas]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-edfXjOdUas[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Well caught, Mal... but, the poor little thing, it must have been terrified.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    ....and a heck of a headache!

• Like Like x 2
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    hehehe ... Sue, perhaps it was, but if you've ever seen one of these beauties break a woodpigeon's back and then tear it to pieces, you'll know it can generally look after itself ...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nuskyn

Nuskyn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    @Gelderland - the Netherlands
    Jeroen
    We've seen a lot of sparrowhawks in our garden, but never this close !! Nice story and pictures !

Here's my Sparrowhawk collection, sorry no SeriousCompact, but my Nikon DSLR

5489665158_8d7048827b.

4028311597_896ba229de.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mal

Mal SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
    Perhaps its the same one I found tucking into a pigeon... in the garden a few months ago.....

11. RichardP

RichardP SC Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Magnificent birds but I have one that kills in my garden regularly and she thinks nothing of eating collared doves alive while I am only a few feet away. She also carried off one of my bantams some years ago but the little hen escaped and made her way home!