Wrestling

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Rick Waldroup, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Wrestling - Cleburne, Texas - June 30, 2012

p964524131-5.

p841605382-5.

p769873594-5.

• Like Like x 7
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    wow, those are some pretty intense photos! What kind of wrestling match is it?

3. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for the comments.

It is a "professional" wrestling match, which means that in the U.S. this is more of an entertainment event than an actual sporting event. It is a crazy event and I have shot a couple of these, including midget wrestling. Just another example of some of the craziness associated with my country.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    ah, so it's similar to the sort of stuff hulk hogan did? whenever I see that on TV (yes, it's even aired here sometimes!), I'm amazed at how it attracts such huge crowds... personally I'd rather see actual wrestling, but I suppose due to its strategic nature it's not always as spectacular and fast-paced as "professional" wrestling

• Like Like x 1
  5. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Brilliant images! This to me is a great example of "street photography" off the streets. The images put me right there in the middle of the action. Very compelling. Thanks for sharing!

6. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Yes, if you are familiar with Hulk Hogan, then this is right along those same lines.

7. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks, Boid, for the comments.

8. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    I like these Rick, great documentary.
    Can I ask if the brightness and noise on the face is a mask worn by the subject or an artifact of your post-processing? Just can't quite tell, but the skin of the face looks very different to that on the arm.
    Again not a criticism, just curious. A great series!!!

9. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Yes, the brightness on her face is from the PP and the girl herself. She was wearing very heavy, light makeup, almost like a pancake type of makeup. The women involved in these events tend to wear heavy makeup- dark lipstick, heavy eye shadow, a heavy light foundation, etc, so I wanted it as light as possible but perhaps I pushed it a bit too far? I wondered about that myself when I was working on the photo.

Thanks for the comments.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Didn't realize she was one of the "wrestlers" - great shots Rick! I hate this "sport" and don't think I could ever bring myself to attend in person, even to photograph it. It is an amazing little slice of Americana though. And jeez, you've captured it really well - the grainy B&W is perfect!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I think I'd be interested to see a version of #3 with a bit less processing on her face.

as a complete aside, I was once in a supermarket when a little boy, perhaps 6 or 7 years old, stopped dead in the aisle in front of me, pointed at me and shrieked "Stone Cold!" ... I had to laugh

12. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    haha I love the photos. The PP gives it a sort of a gritty look which suits the context.

13. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    I want to thank everyone for the comments.

Ray, I know what you mean about these types of events. However, I will shoot almost anything, especially if it leans a bit to the strange or bizarre side of things.:cool:

14. Some very pixelated images, but very entertaining.

15. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    the last one is AMAZING

16. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Great captures, Rick, and I dig the grain as well.

17. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks, Dave, Gubrz, and Kyle for the comments.

18. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    We do have a crazy country, don't we?! Your choice of B&W and the graininess add to the surreal and weirdness beautifully!

I hadn't realized the woman in question was a wrestler either...I almost thought she was checking her cell phone.

My own favorite is your second one - that fellow with the dark suit and light tie...wearing the shades and that hat...wielding that cane is a counterpunch, if I may, to those two wrangling on the floor. Well seen and caught, Rick.:drinks: I think I'd be hiding behind my long lens that I don't have.:wink:

19. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    oh this is what made me love this shot!
    the glowing magical look about her face
    it could be cropped down to basically just be a shot of the face, and id still think it was fantastical!

20. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    I want to thank everyone for their comments.

And yes, BB, we live in a crazy country.....:dance4:

• Like Like x 1