Fuji X-100 First Shots

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
EDIT- This first post initially contained links to a bunch of walk around town test photos I took within the first couple of days of having the X100. Somehow, the automatic process I'd used to have Aperture upload them to Flickr got messed up and they came down from Flickr even more automatically than they went up (I didn't even know about it until a helpful administrator just alerted me to it). Given that there wasn't much to those shots to begin with, and I've now taken some actual photographs with the camera, I'm inclined not to put those initial test shots back up on flick and, consequently, they'll stay missing here. But there are more photos further down in this thread and in my separate thread on the X100 in Jamaica that I'd refer you to for better examples from the X100.

-Ray

Thanks for the post and update Ray.
I'm glad your adjusting to the camera.
It appears your getting a grasp on things.
We're looking forward to your photos from vacation.
Don

I'm looking forward to bringing it into Philly for a day of shooting. But I think that's at least a couple of weeks away, so I'll just do some tourist shots with it for the next week or so...

-Ray

Congrats to your new camera. Crisp, sharp, nice colors. I look forward to see your Jamaica pictures. So does the x100 now have a sharp lens or not? Yours has, and so has mine? User error or sample variation of the ones who allegedly got one with soft edges?

Congrats to your new camera. Crisp, sharp, nice colors. I look forward to see your Jamaica pictures. So does the x100 now have a sharp lens or not? Yours has, and so has mine? User error or sample variation of the ones who allegedly got one with soft edges?
I think its sample variation and a few early duds. There's a guy on dpreview and the X-100 forum named David Sampson who's an excellent photographer who's had all kinds of problems with his. He had the tilted OVF and he's got some pretty bad edge softness as well. In both cases, the Fuji techs in the UK took a look and confirmed there was a problem. He's already had the OVF fixed and I believe its in for service on the lens issue right now. He's clearly not making it up and he's already done some great work with the camera, flaws and all, so I'm pretty sure there's no user error involved. Another guy had his serviced for the OVF issue and then got the camera back and a couple of the buttons on the back were dead. I don't think people are making these problems up - I think the first generation of any product is gonna have some problems. The two of us appear to have been lucky. My OVF is straight and the lens is very sharp and the camera hasn't frozen up on me. I suspect most folks have been lucky, but the ones with problems are obviously more likely to speak up in the process of troubleshooting...

Have you found any use for that little command controller toggle switch up by the thumb, btw? The only thing I can get it to do is to adjust the aperture in finer increments than the aperture ring, but ONLY when in manual mode. It doesn't seem to do anything in aperture priority, shutter priority, or program mode. I haven't checked in playback. Oh, and in manual focus it will trigger the magnification, but I'll pretty much never use that. But it doesn't seem to have much of a job to do from what I can tell. Any thoughts?

-Ray

What an absolutely glorious day you had - as you stole away from your business meetings!

Can you tell us about the church and that other building? As am armchair traveler, I know I'm on a need to know basis. Love that one of the skateboarder!

I read somewhere that the X100 lens is prone to flare. Two pretty nasty examples of flare when shooting into a light source.

A few B&W shots that are not really different than any of the other B&W stuff I do and a couple of color shots that are the kind of stuff I NEVER shoot, but the IQ of this camera is sucking me into this kind of thing. Even when I'm shooting the same stuff I've always shot, its gonna be my favorite camera to shoot with when I don't need a different focal length. Except for street, where I'm just having a lot of trouble getting comfortable raising the camera to my eye. But other than that, its just an awful lot of fun to use.

-Ray

View attachment 35654

View attachment 35655

View attachment 35656

View attachment 35657

View attachment 35658

View attachment 35659

What a great day you had, Ray! And I seen an entry in there for the latest Weekly Challenge, as well!:D

Love that first picture, in particular Ray - however all give a real sense of the events. That gyroscope ride is wild!

Mom's Day at the Ballgame

OK, now that the whiz-bang aspects of the camera have worn off a bit, I'm getting back to doing what I do. With the Fuji. My photographs look like they always did. But its fun getting them. I'm slightly less comfortable shooting with the camera at my eye, but OTOH, nobody else seems to give a damn, so why should I? Not an impediment to shooting people at the ballpark last night. No more cases of stink-eye than I get with the Nex or anything else. It works well. And in bad light, it works better than well.

-Ray

View attachment 36049

View attachment 36050

View attachment 36051

View attachment 36052

View attachment 36053

View attachment 36054

View attachment 36055

View attachment 36056

View attachment 36057

Back