X-E1 and X100S Does Maggie Thatcher Funeral

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Petach, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Excellent work. I see Britons remain very divided about Maggie and her legacy.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Great stuff as usual Pete. I love the first one of the feet standing on the bollards, and the one with the bearded guy in the center. But the whole thing is a pretty fascinating document of the mourners and their various strong feelings.

-Ray

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Great shots that document the whole range of feelings surrounding Thatcher, including healthy demonstrations that the hagiography is being challenged.

The IQ makes me want to get an X100s -- and maybe an X-Pro.

4. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Well observed as usual, love the first one of the feet on the bollards and the large tum!

5. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Great Lady

Minorities always stand out even if they are only a few ....... so IMHO they are not representative

RIP Lady Thatcher ....... she will never be forgotten by many

6. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Great photos Pete!

+1 on the large tum!!! LOL!

Agreed!!

In my childhood, I was very anti-British growing up in Brazil (during the Falkland/Malvina War time). But I have definitely grown to respect MT after reading lots more about her, the Cold War, Gorbie, RR, MAD, etc.

7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Love them all, but the feet are excellent. Also like the ones of the coppers. They must have had their work cut out for them. Glad to see the protesters as well. No doubt about it, Thatcher impressed people, for good or bad.

8. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Great set of photos from petach, showing both 'sides'.

I won't be joining in with the tributes, as her politics were... let's say... somewhat at variance with mine.

9. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Loved or hated, she will be remembered. Imagine going completely unremembered? Where nobody even cared enough to shout "booooooooooooooo"

10. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Maybe shouting "booooooo" was for Yogi's sidekick Booboo!

11. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    There was a party in Liverpool tonight to celebrate.

She was fantastic at knocking down unworkable structures but failed to grasp what came next to rebuild shattered lives after selling off the nation's assets.

A very divisive figure.

12. porchard

porchard SC Veteran

Feb 24, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Precisely.

13. Agreed.

Great series.

14. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Hmm. With all due respect Armando, it's one thing to read about someone, but it's quite another to have lived in the country while they governed, and to have lived with the consequences of the policies they followed.

However, as forum rules forbid political discussion, I'll leave it there ...

15. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Pete, thanks for sharing some memorable images from a historic day.

And thanks to those who have shown restraint in their comments, addressing the great photography, not the subject matter. Let's continue to keep it civil and respectful to one another, chaps.

Sent from another Galaxy

16. jloden

jloden SC Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Jay
    Great shots once again Pete, nicely captured.

I thought some of those shots looked a little soft for an X100S/X-E1, was relieved when I checked the EXIF :biggrin: - nice compositions regardless though. I'm with everyone else, like the shot of the feet a lot, and you got some nice crowd shots too.

17. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I have not expressed and would never imply that my opinions about MT merit higher consideration than that of others -- or in fact, any consideration at all.

18. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Unless tripod used, probably most (if not all) of my shots will show softness through PD tremor.
    Cheers
    Pete

19. jloden

jloden SC Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Jay
    Not at all, on the contrary most of them look great, very crisp. What threw me off was the couple shots that looked softer to me are marked as shot with an iPad in the EXIF on Flickr :tongue: Originally I thought you'd mixed in a few mobile shots, but it just occured to me maybe those were just processed/uploaded from there and it overwrote the EXIF. In fact, could just be the different processing on those now that I look at it a 2nd time.

Side note, funny coincidence but I was just browsing 500px earlier and saw some shots someone else posted of a couple of the same protestors you encountered. Small world!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.