Fuji X-E1 EVF bad in fluorescent light?

seukel

Rookie
Today my local photoshop received its first shipment of X-E1-kits (with the 18-55), so I could finally give it a try. Nice look and feeling of the camera all in all, but I was rather disappointed by the EVF. When autofocusing there was a short freeze when different lines (outlines of objects) in the scene became strangely "jagged". When the focus frame turned green the image became smooth and normal again. Moreoever, when panning with focus locked the picture moved in a wavelike, almost nauseating fashion.

Could this have something to do with the fact the shop was illuminated by fluorescent light everywhere (it was already totally dark outside)? Or was it a bad copy? If not the much acclaimed EVF of the X-E1 is really not that good at all. :confused:

It might be interesting to know what firmware they have on the camera. The "short freeze" you mention I had heard about, but feel like I also read something about it being addressed in a recent firmware release. I think I saw someone who was "reviewing" it on Youtube talk about, so you may try Youtube X-E1 EVF reviews (or something like that).

this review doesn't seem to exhibit the wavelike problem you mentioned.....

Yes, I have seen this and the other of his videos, which showed rather good performance of the EVF. Therefore I was so surprised in the shop.

The X-E1 EVF is the same as the EVF used for the Sony A99 DSLR, NEX-6, and Cyber-shot RX1. Except for a review of the A99 at L.L., I'm not sure I've seen a bad word written about it and certainly no other reports of issues with fluorescent lights.

If there was an issue with the EVF under fluorescent lights it'd probably be due to 60 Hertz flicker, something you might see with poorly maintained or old tech fluorescent lights or the light emanating from the average LCD display.

Back