Fuji X-E1 EVF display of camera setting effects

I know the X100 is a totally different camera, but mine shows an optimum exposure at all times regardless of how screwed up I set the parameters. Is there some menu item I need to adjust to get that WYSIWYG kind of operation? Or is this just for the X-E1 and X-Pro?

All X cameras work just the same.

To make live view work, you need to:

a) make sure the subject is not extremely dark. The camera needs a certain EV level to correctly amplify the signal and make the live histogram usable. This means that lenses with a larger opening work better in such situations than slower lenses. It also implies that one should not stop down adapted third party lenses in dark situations when measuring exposure. Measure the subject wide open, then stop down.

b) operate the camera with settings that are at least in the vicinity of a correct exposure for your subject. It's unreasonable to expect exposure wysiwyg if the exposure settings are several EV values off the correct setting. 1/4000s, ISO 200 and a dark subject is definitely not a reasonable choice. The camera will always try to show the subject so you can frame it. A totally dark (or white) EVF would be of no help at all when you try to frame a subject, so this is a feature, not a bug.

PS: It's normal that there's no correct live view exposure representation in M mode.

Btw, exposure it NOT a JPEG parameter and also not really a camera setting. Those settings are WB, film simulation, contrast, color etc., and they are perfectly reflected in the EVF (or LCD). The X-E1 EVF is better suited for this task due to its higher resolution.

Thank you all for your efforts to explain. Greatly appreciated. This seems to be a helpfull forum. Hopefully the X-E1 will shop up in Sweden soon. (Then I can experiment myself.)

I believe one of the members in the forum Wolf, ordered it from Amazon Italy. So you may not need to wait until it shows up in Sweden! :)

The shutter setting (or the aperture setting) have no effect at all on live view, since changing the shutter (or aperture) will automatically change the aperture (or shutter) and/or the ISO setting in PAS modes. So the EVF shows no effect at all, too. Perfect wysiwyg.

The only control that has an actual effect on exposure is the exposure compensation dial. Oh, and changing the metering mode has an effect, as well, of course – and is hence reflected in the EVF.

The shutter setting (or the aperture setting) have no effect at all on live view, since changing the shutter (or aperture) will automatically change the aperture (or shutter) and/or the ISO setting in PAS modes. So the EVF shows no effect at all, too. Perfect wysiwyg.

The only control that has an actual effect on exposure is the exposure compensation dial. Oh, and changing the metering mode has an effect, as well, of course – and is hence reflected in the EVF.

That's good to know. If an electronic screen cannot display the preview image at the same exposure as the final image then it loses a big potential advantage over a traditional OVF. The inability to preview exposure correctly has annoyed with with a few Panasonic models including my GH1. I HOPE that the X-E1 doesn't do the same thing.

In PAS mode if you change either the aperture or shutter speed, the camera will change the other to bring the image back to what it thinks is EV 0, unless you have your EV adjusted. I'm pretty sure that is what PAS modes do universally. In the EVF/LCD if you go from stopped down to wide open you can see the impact on DOF. I do it all the time with flowers, I start wide open and dial down while looking through the EVF in order to get just the right feel in my OOF areas.

Of course if you spin the EV dial you are going to see a change in the EVF/LCD in all modes BUT M. In M mode, you set the f stop and speed as you see fit. The meter is just a guide. Adjusting the metering mode or the EV isn't going to change the fact you set the aperture to X and the speed to Y and the sensor is spitting out the results in the EVF/LCD.

Back