Fuji X-T1 Thoughts & Samples

Oh cool, I had no idea. I've just been using the factory thing with a huge cord. Though I also haven't really ever had to charge on the road. Being careful with the camera settings, not reviewing pics for too long, shooting almost all jpg-only, that sort of thing, all has meant I could get more like 400 shots per battery on the X100. Even Peru didn't generate more than 800 shots. So for the X-T1, with 3 batteries, and with the X100 (with 2 batteries of its own) as a backup solution, I really might not even need to bring a charger for most trips.

Oh cool, I had no idea. I've just been using the factory thing with a huge cord. Though I also haven't really ever had to charge on the road. Being careful with the camera settings, not reviewing pics for too long, shooting almost all jpg-only, that sort of thing, all has meant I could get more like 400 shots per battery on the X100. Even Peru didn't generate more than 800 shots. So for the X-T1, with 3 batteries, and with the X100 (with 2 batteries of its own) as a backup solution, I really might not even need to bring a charger for most trips.

Not take a charger on a trip? That's crazy talk Kyle! Even sticking with your corded chargers, pretty much every one of them ever made can use the "duck-head" plugs that Apple includes with pretty much everything they sell or that you can find for about a dime a dozen on Amazon or lots of other places.

31430845.30f84ccd.jpg

APLPWRFLIPAC hero par Ray S., on ipernity

And then you leave the cord at home and it's a wall charger...

-Ray

ray, can your single bay charger and dual bay charger share the same trays? for my single bay chargers, i have several different trays for fuji and sony batteries. i bought a dual bay charger which ended up being proprietary for trays for sony batteries. basically, this company used different notches on the bottom of their trays. so, i can't use any of my trays from my single bay charger.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

ray, can your single bay charger and dual bay charger share the same trays? for my single bay chargers, i have several different trays for fuji and sony batteries. i bought a dual bay charger which ended up being proprietary for trays for sony batteries. basically, this company used different notches on the bottom of their trays. so, i can't use any of my trays from my single bay charger.
Yeah, they all work together. I have some trays and a small wall charger from the "Pearstone" days and trays and the double bay charger from the "Watson" branded days. They're all interchangeable.

-Ray

this is from b&h? i'll need to check those out next time i'm there. thanks.

Yeah, it's sort of B&H's house brand I think.

Here's the charger with two plates for the basic Fuji battery that works with all of the ILC bodies;

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880160-REG/watson_d_2109_duo_lcd_charger_f_fuji.html

And here are the plates for pretty much any camera you can think of:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

-Ray

ohh.. i recognize, now. i actually had a watson off amazon before. i had to return it because the left bay wasn't recognizing some sony batteries but would work fine on the right bay regardless of switching trays. that's when i picked up another kind and now have the issue with the trays not being swappable. i procrastinated returning it.

here's one of the travel ones i use...

e3enehuj.jpg

atehybab.jpg

sorry. camera was still in b&w.

Maybe I was lucky or maybe you've been unlucky, but I haven't had any problem with about 4-5 different battery types / plates. I'm using three now but have used others along the way. It's not like I ever minded using different chargers for different batteries, but this is just really handy and easy and I don't have to think much. My brain resources are not what they once were, so any trivial task I can simplify is a good thing! :cool:

-Ray

i was most likely unlucky. i'll probably have another go when i move back to NY, hopefully, this summer. actually, i'll show my buddy it since he was looking for one as well. he's not too far from the store anyway.

edit: i showed him, and he found a seller on eBay selling it for pretty cheap - eBay. since the trays are pretty cheap from b&h anyway, no worries on the included trays.

edit: eBay seller is in nyc, too. he just bought it, lol. i'll probably get mine from them as well, and ship here to CA to save on tax. i'll wait for his experience. i like how it has a usb2.0 port as well.

Gaaaah. The wife found a new dentist for us that she loves, but they're way out in Groton... 30 min train ride, then a 5 mile bike ride to get there. Took all day. And in the meantime, UPS brought the X-T1 to the house and it was Signature Required, so no dice. Today she's home, so I'm watching that tracking website like an addict.

Time goes like a snail when you're waiting for something exciting. ;-)

Congratulations with the new camera! .

Gaaaah. The wife found a new dentist for us that she loves, but they're way out in Groton... 30 min train ride, then a 5 mile bike ride to get there. Took all day. And in the meantime, UPS brought the X-T1 to the house and it was Signature Required, so no dice. Today she's home, so I'm watching that tracking website like an addict.

Quick samples, hastily snapped on my way back to work...

First, the 14 f2.8...
DSCF9004_-_Copy.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And a detail crop from that shot...
DSCF9004-2.jpg

Now the 35 f1.4...
DSCF9020_-_Copy.JPG

A crop detail from the 35 1.4...
DSCF9021-2.jpg

And finally a test of the AF-C tracking and 8/second shooting mode. I went with cars speeding by on Storrow Drive. These guys were doing about 50mph. I tried it with 2 cars. Reviewing the photos, it seems like the camera got Shot 1 right both times, missed Shot 2 both times, and then was more or less dead-on all the way until the car swept past me. A few excerpts...
DSCF9028_-_Copy.JPG

DSCF9030_-_Copy.JPG

DSCF9032_-_Copy.JPG

DSCF9033_-_Copy.JPG

Handing me this thing was like giving a chimp an AK-47. I could barely contain my joy and awe. It is smaller than I feared, it's still VERY quiet, it is fast as hell coming from the X100, it falls perfectly in hand, that EVF is indeed wonderful, and I've already used the tilting LCD (flower shot). Hooooly crap how am I supposed to get work done...

Ok, now that I've had an evening and a morning with it, I have preliminary thoughts. First, the sensor IS different than the X100, but I think I can work with it. Better detail, as has been documented, but also a little less dreamy right out of the gate. But now that I know what to tweak, I'm getting the presets (7 of them, thank god, not 3 like the X100 but WHY CAN'T WE NAME THEM DAMMIT) all dialed in. Nice to finally have Pro Neg Lo and Hi options, and hell I really dig several of the goofy "advanced" filters. I dig them a LOT.

First, the 14 is truly a wonderful lens. It focuses VERY quickly, it feels wonderful, it doesn't have a flaw to find, and that length is so incredibly wonderful... it really brings the entire scene into play without distorting too much. We're gonna be good friends. Couple it with a tilting rear screen, and I can take this shot in 2 seconds (right as the couple was about to kiss) and nobody really notices me.. I'm just a dude on a bike who paused for a second to look down at his camera. This was warmed up, tone mapped, and cropped ever so slightly.

<iframe src="DSCF9064" width="800" height="559" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

The tracking autofocus, as I mentioed, is pretty damned wonderful. Handles a 4 yr old on a bike perfectly. This is the 35 1.4 lens, which is also pretty damned wonderful. I did manage to get some chromatic aberrations in bright sunlight yesterday, sunlight glinting off my silver brake levers had red on one edge and blue on the other... I feel like the X100 wouldn't have done that. Still, it's a great length, it focuses plenty quick, it's not huge, and that lens hood is actually perfect for storing it without a lens cap. I just put a UV on it, then the filter, and I don't see it ever coming off. This was taken on 3 frames per second. All of the shots were focused dead on. SOOC.

<iframe src="DSCF9086" width="800" height="534" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Put the 35 on 1.4, allow the camera to go to 6400, and especially put it in b&w, and you can do whatever you want in a dim room. I didn't think I'd really notice the extra stop over the X100, but I absolutely did. And I love the extra bokeh, to be honest. As you can see, Nico the blue heeler is staying with us again. As Stillshunter said, "G'day, bluey!" This had a touch of tone mapping, no other tweaks.

<iframe src="DSCF9111-2" width="333" height="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

The detail from the 35 and the camera sensor even at 6400 is very, very effing good. I can count the threads on the camera bag patch on the fullsize version of this. SOOC.

<iframe src="DSCF9122" width="800" height="534" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

The filters... I really like them. So far the Toy filter and the Pop Color (shown here) seem to be actually pretty useful. This was ISO 800, 1/8 second, hand held, SOOC. Also here's my pelican case. You can see the slot for the X-T1 body, then below it the extra batteries and the flash. Then the X100 with its hood, and its extra battery below it. Then 2 holes for the 2 lenses that have come in (56 is still on back order). Topping it all off is the remnants of a pretty good home brewed black IPA.

<iframe src="DSCF9128" width="333" height="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

The two very high ISO settings are problematic. Here's 25,600: Note the bad coloring at the bottom of the shot.

<iframe src="DSCF9135" width="800" height="534" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's 12,800. Less of the problem, but it doesn't vanish until 6400.

<iframe src="DSCF9136" width="800" height="534" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

And finally, a quick snap from this morning. I didn't tweak this one, it's SOOC. Normally I would brighten her up a bit. The thing I like about this is that I was able to EASILY shoot this (and 3 or 4 others) one handed as I pushed my own bike right in front of her. It was easy because the camera has a good grip, isn't too big or heavy, focuses quickly, has a big rear LCD, and fits into a smallish bag on my shoulder. This is a minimum requirement for me, this form factor. I don't care how much better any other camera is, if I can't have it on me and use it quickly and easily, I ain't buying it.

<iframe src="DSCF9142" width="333" height="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Back