Fuji X-T1 Thoughts & Samples

One more thing... I tried out the remote control option with my phone, and it works wonderfully. They paired right up the first try, and holy hell is that slick. But then on my wife's equally new iPad, I could NOT get them linked. It will almost always be my phone I use anyway, but still, I was perplexed.

I'm thinking about putting something - tiny pieces of black tape maybe - on the buttons to make them taller. Then I would be fine with them.

I'd be willing to bet Lensmate will make something like that which would be marginally slicker than black tape for $5-$10 before too long. I remember they made a pretty useful little nub for the center button on the X100 which was ridiculously non-tactile.

I'm gonna wait though. I'm in the serial number range for the light leak, so when the rush dies down I'm gonna send mine in for the repair (not that I'm having any issues, but someday I'll no doubt sell this beast and I'd like to be able to certify that it has a clean bill of health) and I'll be interested if it comes back with better feeling rear buttons. Some have reported an improvement, some not...

-Ray

If I had some black gaffer's tape, I'd probably bust out the scissors and cut something out for them myself. Only have duct tape (yuck) and electrical tape (too slick, not sticky enough).

Got invited to a "some guy is running for governor" fundraiser sorta thing last night. Had the X-T1 with me, looked around, noticed no one else was taking anything but cellphone pics, so I shot a couple.

13624115004_659a5a5ac7_c.jpg

13623774333_f7deda1c75_c.jpg

13623774773_5c6094c6e8.jpg

13624116524_2feac18d07_c.jpg

13624117024_18358e63df_c.jpg

13623777483_32fdcd771d_c.jpg

The camera was phenominal. All those high angle shots, standing on a bench with my arms fully extended over my head, all I had to do was -flip- the screen down. Amazingly helpful. And these shots are all from the 35, even though I had some good ones from 14. The 35 just shone in there, though. Perfect length, 1.4 and 1/60 meant ISO welllllll below 1000, sharp sharp sharp, great colors from the camera, flexible jpgs for post, incredibly quick response time... SWOON.

The more I read and see, the more my desire grows!

I have just got a very cheap used X-Pro1 which is very good. I have had one before but a long time ago and didn't like it much at the time. This time round it fit's very nicely with much faster AF and the IQ is outstanding!

Talking of IQ (Asking everyone here), Generally how does the X-T1 compare with the X-Pro? I'm going to see how my 'affair' with the Fuji's works out and if it works out well I may get the X-T1.

We were playing with the X-T1 and 56mm f1.2 in the shop......WOW!!! What a combo!! Sadly that lens is not a focal length I use so no good for me. I did buy the 23mm f1.4 which is a stunner so I now have the 18mm, 23mm, & 35mm. That will do me for now.

Talking of IQ (Asking everyone here), Generally how does the X-T1 compare with the X-Pro? I'm going to see how my 'affair' with the Fuji's works out and if it works out well I may get the X-T1.
The operating characteristics of the XT1 are very different than the X-Pro, Andy, but the IQ is functionally identical. The X-Pro has a few more pixels (since none are used for PDAF) and the XT1 has 14 bit raw files, so maybe a tiny bit more latitude, but you'd be hard pressed to actually see a difference.

-Ray

The operating characteristics of the XT1 are very different than the X-Pro, Andy, but the IQ is functionally identical. The X-Pro has a few more pixels (since none are used for PDAF) and the XT1 has 14 bit raw files, so maybe a tiny bit more latitude, but you'd be hard pressed to actually see a difference.

-Ray
Thanks Ray.

I'll keep my wallet in my pocket for a while then! :D

I went for a bike ride today and took along the camera and the 10-24 that I decided to try out. Kind of leaning away from getting the 56mm (an amazing lens I wouldn't use enough) so decided to check out the 10-24. But the key thing here for me has nothing to do with photography, which I did in quite the mediocre fashion. The key thing was riding my town bike a pretty solid 15 miles with some good hills and made it back feeling good. I used to be a guy who thought nothing of riding 50 fast and hilly miles on my road bike, but some health problems that cropped up about a year ago (significant but not even remotely life threatening - so no worries) had kept me essentially off the bike for the past year. I'd ride around town doing errands but just wasn't really up for anything more than that without getting into amazing coughing jags that would scare the hell out of anyone within a mile or so. Today is absolutely gorgeous and I took the camera bag and started riding. The next thing I knew I'd gone all the way down to a creekside park 7-8 miles away and trending downhill and was feeling great. So I rode around and walked around and played around with the lens a little bit and then rode home - trending significantly uphill. Saw some old acquaintances on their road bikes who commiserated but then rode off easily at the kind of speeds I used to take for granted but can't even fantasize about now. Didn't care at all - it was just soooooo damn nice to be out riding at whatever relaxed pace and feeling OK. Maybe if I can manage this consistently for a while I'll be able to get back on my road bike later this summer. I'd sort of accepted the end of that phase of my life, but maybe that was pre-mature. Regardless, I'm feeling wonderful at the moment and even if that's all it turns out to be, I'll bloody well take it! Here are a few from the ride...

View attachment 88999

View attachment 89000

View attachment 89001

My trusty steed:
View attachment 89002

-Ray

Thanks Ray.

I'll keep my wallet in my pocket for a while then! :D

There's one other advantage of the x-pro: the OVF. Which is really helpful in bright sunlight (despite the fantastic EVF of the X-T1), especially when you wear glasses like me. On the other hand, I love the handling of the X-T1 and the tilt screen.

I went for a bike ride today and took along the camera and the 10-24 that I decided to try out.

Ray, how comfortable is the lens compared to the 14mm? It looks huge. A beautiful series. My favorite is #3 (I assume it;'s 10 or 12mm?). I am amazed how Fuji reproduces Turquoise colors!

I want one and I want one now .
Do they do a tripod carrying accessory ?

LOL. That would be something!

Back