X10-Adding Optical filters

Discussion in 'Fuji Forum' started by Kustom48, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Kustom48

Kustom48 SC Regular

Aug 12, 2012
    Wimbotsham, Norfolk, UK.
    ian drury
    Hi,
    Can any X10 owners help me out with a question about fitting additional filters to an X10.

Does the X10 have a lens filter thread ( can't find any info on this so far ) if so what size is it, if not, what is the best way to mount optical filters, eg; NDs, Grads ( P size, 84mm) and circular polarisers ?

I'm asking this as I've just found a great deal on an X10 and I'm seriously considering buying it over one of the newer models ( LX7, XZ2, EX2F,P7700, XF1...).

Thanks in anticipation !:wink:

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    You need to get the lens hood, which has a filter adapter built into it. Either the Fuji or JJC hoods will work - and both take 52mm filters. Without a lens hood, you can't do it...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. stanleyk

stanleyk SC Top Veteran

May 23, 2011
    Taylor, Texas
    B+W makes a 40 to 43mm adapter ring. It fits great even though the threads are supposed to be 39.5. There are a lot of 43mm filters out there. I just got a B+W 43mm MC Neutral filter to protect the front of the lens. I think I got it from BandH but Adorama probably has them too. Not sure about the UK but they are probably not hard to get there either.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kustom48

Kustom48 SC Regular

Aug 12, 2012
    Wimbotsham, Norfolk, UK.
    ian drury
    Thanks for this info, so a 40.0mm threaded adapter ring works ok on the X10s' 39.5mm size lens thread, despite the 0.5mm size difference.

I'll look around for these here in the UK, or the JJC / Fuji lens hood to be able to use a 52mm diameter filter mounting ring from Cokin or similar.

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I just ordered the Marumi filter from Amazon with a Christmas gift card. I've heard good things about it optically, so we'll see. I usually try to get a BW uv filter, but they apparently don't make a 40mm, and I'd prefer to avoid a step ring if I can, though I'll have to if I try to use any other filters, which, however is unlikely. For me it's not a kit camera I'll be carrying with accessories. That would be my E-M5.

The X-10, though, is a wonderful little camera. I'm thrilled with it.