cast away
by kevin dixey, on Flickr

26025796870_12b788ed7c_b.jpg

little bräu boots

25697691883_e94bb7d595_b.jpg

feelers

I really like this little thing. That's why I'm taking the it on my upcoming road trip while the OMD is going to be sitting home in the closet. I have nothing against the OMD, it's a fine tool but I find the X10 works really well for me and I am able to make images I'm happy with. The OMD...not so much.

Last edited:
I love this thread. It seemed to arise because someone dumped a bunch of older model used cameras on ebay for cheap and everyone rediscovered how good they are. It's just such a counterpoint to the normal two year cycle gear obsessions. Of course, the pictures are also really good.

I love this thread. It seemed to arise because someone dumped a bunch of older model used cameras on ebay for cheap and everyone rediscovered how good they are. It's just such a counterpoint to the normal two year cycle gear obsessions. Of course, the pictures are also really good.
For me it's mainly because the X10 is my first compact camera that does almost everything I need as long as I don't need shallow DOF and larger than A4 color prints (for critical usage). The B&W images from the X10 are about on par with what I used to get out of 35mm B&W film back in the day ... incredible for such a tiny camera. Add the wonderful, fast zoom lens w/(super) macro, handling, speed, excellent DR and very respectable low-light performance, the great colors and you've got a combo that's good enough for a lot of stuff and will be good enough for another while to come.

Take the image below ... the original file has enough resolution for an excellent 9x12 print (I'd need a loupe) and would still look very good on A3 and somewhat larger.

DSCF8811-new copy-1k6.jpg

Last edited:

We've all been down the camera upgrade path that's for sure and it is nice to rediscover that you can make pretty cool images with gear that is considered outdated. What I have been most surprised using my X10 is that not only is it quite capable (even in 6mp mode) but I prefer it to other options that I have. So much so that those other options are sitting around gathering dust.

For me it's mainly because the X10 is my first compact camera that does almost everything I need as long as I don't need shallow DOF and larger than A4 color prints (for critical usage). The B&W images from the X10 are about on par with what I used to get out of 35mm B&W film back in the day ... incredible for such a tiny camera. Add the wonderful, fast zoom lens w/(super) macro, handling, speed, excellent DR and very respectable low-light performance, the great colors and you've got a combo that's good enough for a lot of stuff and will be good enough for another while to come.

Take the image below ... the original file has enough resolution for an excellent 9x12 print (I'd need a loupe) and would still look very good on A3 and somewhat larger.

View attachment 27061

That is absolutely terrific. While I agree with everything you listed, you left out one thing...it's a really fun camera to use as well.

That is absolutely terrific. While I agree with everything you listed, you left out one thing...it's a really fun camera to use as well.
Couldn't agree more about the fun part, Kevin. I literally don't leave the house without it and more often than not my larger cameras stay where they are.

Back