1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

X10 X-perimentation

Discussion in 'Fuji Forum' started by dixeyk, Jan 2, 2013.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

The X10 IMHO requires a bi of work to get the best out of it. if you're willing to put in the time it can be very rewarding. I'm just skimming the surface of what it can do so I thought why not post and invite other folks working with their X10's to do the same? So here goes...

All shot at MF, Aperture Priority, -1/3 Exposure Comp, Sharpness +1, NR +1, Highlight Tone -1, Auto1600, DR100

I am very pleased with the color.

8339626292_0362b1b86c_b.
    Frapper by dixeyk, on Flickr

8338566975_44469372b3_b.
    Starburst by dixeyk, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Dew by dixeyk, on Flickr

8339628868_8f90bbcd63_b.
    Memories of Summer by dixeyk, on Flickr

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Kevin: Any processing other than that done in camera? My habit is to turn down NR, sharpening, etc., and do it in post-processing, but if the X-10 is doing this well in camera, I might have to rethink my methods for this particular machine.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

The only post processing I did was a bit of cropping and added some vignetting in LR. Sharpness, NR etc. are all SOOC. For BW I use Silver Efex Pro 2.

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I hadn't even discovered this thread when I took this, but figured I'd put it up with shooting information anyway. LF, 200iso 200%DR, sharpness, NR, etc. all set to 0, auto white balance. A bit of additional sharpening and noise reduction done in Lightroom,, black and white conversion done in B&W Effects.

I'm thrilled with this camera, and quite impressed with it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I really like the camera quite a bit. I am finding myself constantly surprised at how well the images turn out.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Here's another from the camera jpeg at LF iso 200 and 200%DR, with sharpness, color, DR,etc. all at 0. I adjusted the color 2 points in photoshop and did a very slight (.4) highpass overlay sharpening. And I raised the shadows slightly in in the levels. This still looks good at 3x large in SmugMug, where clicking on the embedded photo leads. Once you click through the first image the photo has a roll over menu on the right that allows you to view a various sizes. Not exactly intuitive, but it works.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Keep 'em coming Kevin! Glad to see you found something new to play with that's inspiring you again.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I'm really enjoying it and I guess that's half the battle.

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    leninade??

• Like Like x 1
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Simple Soviet Style Soda...apparently.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    As long as you are not a descendant of the former Tsar, I suppose it's safe to drink -- or as safe as soft drinks are.

In any event, it is a great capture.

12. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Working.......

X10 with all the settings recommended, iso1600 1/13th sec. Put the image through a couple of filters in Perfect Layers which cleaned up the little bit of noise nicely.

DSCF0463-30.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Peggy again!

[​IMG]

ISO 100, DR200, medium

• Like Like x 2
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Sorry for dropping out there...the combination of busy and work and horrible weather has been a distraction.

8366838494_f49bd41960_b.
    H2NO by dixeyk, on Flickr

8365770765_e3ac707fb5_b.
    Stilled Life by dixeyk, on Flickr

MF, AUTO1600, DR100, 1/30th, f2.8 (super macro)

FWIW...it doesn't matter how great the X20 is...the X10 is still one heck of a camera.

15. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry

• Like Like x 1
  16. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Upgrading to the latest and greatest has become a real pet peeve of mine. I have done my share of upgrading over the years and I just got to the point where I felt like it was pointless and the differences between the cameras was not enough to warrant the expense and hassle. I think there are good reasons to upgrade like needing/wanting an EVF and the current camera doesn't have one or ergonomics (camera is too small, big, etc.) or even of you simply WANT a new camera but new models do not suddenly make the old models worthless.

17. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I bought mine just to keep in my bag all the time and it certainly fills this role well. I don't feel any need to upgrade either.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    I would never upgrade to the X20......

I've preordered the X30 tho'.

• Like Like x 5
  19. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

lol!!!