Fuji X10 X-perimentation

8369747548_e46231e3ae_b.jpg

La Santisima V by dixeyk, on Flickr

8313419928_5825acde6e_b.jpg

Generations by dixeyk, on Flickr

8369747888_49c2ecd3b9_b.jpg

Pancaked by dixeyk, on Flickr

After some playing and fiddling with settings I have a few more thoughts.

- I think the X10 is a terrific camera and it's my carry with me everyday camera
- The lens is sharp (even wide open) and the zoom range is very flexible and suits a lot of different situations (and the IS works well)
- Small sensor or not I would choose the X10 over any m43 body. What it lacks in IQ (although it isn't as much as you might think) it makes up for in utility and all around fun.
- The UI and controls were designed by someone that actually uses a camera
- The lensmate thumb rest I added blocks access to the mode dial somewhat but the trade off is well worth it
- The soft release button I added is a bit too big but I like the dimension it adds so I'll get a smaller one
- The files it creates are very forgiving and respond well to tweaking
- The camera is a lot of FUN to use

In fact, I was so impressed with the X10 that I decided to ditch my attempt to pickup a Panasonic G series camera for a walk around with fast AF to compliment my NEX. The G2 I had ordered weeks ago finally arrived in horrible shape so I sent it back (and sold the Sigma 19/2.8 I ordered) and didn't bother to order another. There is no need.

Hi Kevin:

I love the X10, and I'm perfectly happy for it to be my take everywhere camera. Unlike you, though, I don't prefer it to any m4/3 camera. When I got the E-M5, I thought, "this is the camera I've been waiting for", and I haven't changed my mind about that. I'm absolutely in love with that camera. It's big for a "take everywhere" camera, though, at least for me; unless I know I'm going out shooting, I don't usually want to carry a bag, no matter how small, so it's important for me to have something I feel comfortable entrusting my pictures with that doesn't require extra baggage (The little case that my belt threads through for the X10 doesn't count as baggage), and I've never felt as good as I do about the X10 in filling that need. My favorite digital outfit is still the E-M5 with the PL25 f1.4 or the Oly 45 f1.8, but my favorite film camera is my Hasselbald, though if I use it less than most of the other, small outfits, which I still really enjoy using.

A agree absolutely that the X10 is "a LOT of fun to use." For it's place in my kit, I like it as much as the E-M5 for its place. I've found it difficult to find a smaller sensor compact that really satisfies me; the X10 does. 'nough said.

You are doing beautiful work with it, I should add.

Hi Kevin:

I love the X10, and I'm perfectly happy for it to be my take everywhere camera. Unlike you, though, I don't prefer it to any m4/3 camera. When I got the E-M5, I thought, "this is the camera I've been waiting for", and I haven't changed my mind about that. I'm absolutely in love with that camera. It's big for a "take everywhere" camera, though, at least for me; unless I know I'm going out shooting, I don't usually want to carry a bag, no matter how small, so it's important for me to have something I feel comfortable entrusting my pictures with that doesn't require extra baggage (The little case that my belt threads through for the X10 doesn't count as baggage), and I've never felt as good as I do about the X10 in filling that need. My favorite digital outfit is still the E-M5 with the PL25 f1.4 or the Oly 45 f1.8, but my favorite film camera is my Hasselbald, though if I use it less than most of the other, small outfits, which I still really enjoy using.

A agree absolutely that the X10 is "a LOT of fun to use." For it's place in my kit, I like it as much as the E-M5 for its place. I've found it difficult to find a smaller sensor compact that really satisfies me; the X10 does. 'nough said.

You are doing beautiful work with it, I should add.

Thanks for the compliment...:D

The E-M5 is a terrific camera. I use a NEX 5n as my "other" camera so I think of it much the way you think of your E-M5. When I got it I had that same reaction "this is the camera I have been waiting for"...in my case it was because since I started using digital I have been looking for a platform to use my various legacy lenses. IMHO the NEX and my Rokkor adapted lenses are an ideal setup (I'm really partial to my MD 35-70/3.5 and MC 50/1.4). Of course that's strictly MF so the X10 is a nice compliment to that. I think if not for the NEX I would probably have an E-M5 as well (the PL45 was my all time favorite m43 lens).

Maybe I could amend my comment to say... - Small sensor or not I would choose the X10 over any of the COMPACT m43 bodies. What it lacks in IQ (although it isn't as much as you might think) it makes up for in utility and all around fun.

Kevin, you live in a great little city!

Thanks, It's pretty cool...just last night I was walking home from work and was thinking to myself how beautiful it is around here with the mountains, trees and ocean surrounding us. It's easy to take it for granted when you caught up in the day to day grind.

Back