X100 Firmware update 1.21 !!

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by petemasty, Mar 29, 2012.

1. petemasty

petemasty SC Regular

May 24, 2011
    wiltshire, UK
    I've have just had a call from Fuji UK to say that Fuji (in Japan) are fully aware of the issues around 1.20 and that they are currently urgently working on a new update and are going to get it out as quickly as possible.

They called because my camera was with them for repair and they acknowledged my camera had problems with 1.20. They are reverting my camera back to 1.13 and returning it.

well, at least we know they are on the case in resolving the problems.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    good news.... a good reminder that the squeaky wheel gets the grease

3. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Good news. They seem to be taking those FW issues more and more seriously (as they should).

4. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    Glad I haven't had time to do the 1.20 update then.

5. Iansky

Iansky SC Top Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Cotswolds, UK
    Bugger - just upgraded last night to 1.20 - I will persevere with it though as I understand the main issue with update is around the MF / AFL issues?

I do like being able to choose function associated with RAW button!

It does appear that Fuji are lsitening to users and responding accordingly, what a shame other manufacturers are not as responsive.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Agreed, and I'm also pleased. But in fairness its a bit of a double edged sword. Most other manufacturers seem to leave fewer loose ends the first time around, so there's less need. All in all, though, a great camera just getting better...

-Ray

7. petemasty

petemasty SC Regular

May 24, 2011
    wiltshire, UK
    I had a chat with the Fuji chappy about much the same thing, that being, why have they released a camera that falls so short of the mark with regards to software and performance. Was it a rush job? I told him I have never had so much trouble and so many firmware updates with a camera before in my life, so why this? He actually sounded rather contrite and admitted he and Fuji were somewhat embarrassed by all this, particularly as FW 1.2 has created more problems than it has resolved. That's when he fully reassured me Fuji are working intensely on a new firmware to resolve.

We also discussed SAB, as I have only taken about 1000 shutter actuations (the days of film are still with me I'm afraid. Don't like to waste shots). My warranty is up in May but he said that if I had SAB after this time, and the camera had not been physically abused, Fuji would fix free of charge despite being outside the warranty because SAb is a known fault.

Yes, this sort of service may sound exemplary, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. We are where we are. If we stick with the x100 the only thing we can hope for is that Fuji make this camera worth the investment made by its owners.

Let's hope in six months time, we can all cry out "we are so glad we persevered!!!,"

• Like Like x 1
  8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Did he happen to mention *when* this update might appear? I'm assuming since they have downgraded yours, its not any time very soon...

9. petemasty

petemasty SC Regular

May 24, 2011
    wiltshire, UK
    No timeframe. Just 'urgently dealing with it' probably cos 1.20 was such a cock-up.

10. kevenv

kevenv SC Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    I have heard on another forum, from someone who has seen the update, that it is supposed to be released tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    The fuji guys twitted something about it, and when they do that the update is generally just around the corner. Tomorrow wouldn't surprise me.

12. flysurfer

flysurfer SC Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2011
    Yep, tomorrow. It will solve most (but not all) of the issues introduced in 1.12 and 1.20.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
  14. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Thanks for the heads-up.

15. alessandro

alessandro SC Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    Vicenza, Italy
    It fixes what they say it fixes: the bad bug of the MF+AFL misalignment.
    AF lock still unlocks when going to OVF
    AF lock (AF only) still prevents exposure compensation

Nothing to regret here: they fixed the worst one in a hurry. I would expect a new update in a more reasonable time.

They need to hire an English mother tongue editor. Seen from my pidgin English point of view, their communications are funny to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  16. petemasty

petemasty SC Regular

May 24, 2011
    wiltshire, UK
    Well, the updates works for me. I have also noticed that it takes a mere one revolution to go from near to infinity on the manual focus ring, whereas t took two revolutions in 1.20

Let's hope this camera will get even better.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Is there any way to upgrade the firmware without using a card reader?

18. kevenv

kevenv SC Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    I happened to be shooting a bunch of pics after upgrading and noticed that the battery indication is way more reliable than in the past. Prior to this upgrade (though it could be a result of 1.20) when the battery level turned red it would fail on me after 2-3 shots. Yesterday I got down to 1 red bar and kept shooting to see how many pics I could get. After 40 pictures it still hadn't died so I stopped. Huge improvement for me.

Maybe someone else could try and drain their battery to see if this is indeed an improvement or pure luck for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Not really, unless you can transfer the update file direct to the card in your camera. That doesn't work for me with the X100. My card reader died but the MBP reader works.

20. winginkris

winginkris SC Veteran

Dec 15, 2011
    This has been one of my minor gripes with the x100 as well. Just when I get a warning, the battery's gone. I'll try and let mine run down today and see if it's been fixed.

• Like Like x 1