X100 Raw to Jpeg conversion in camera.

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by Streetshooter, May 13, 2011.

1. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    I'm a raw shooter but convert to jpeg for web stuff etc.
    The X100 has a great converter built into the camera itself.

Select a raw file in the camera, hit the OK button and then move the control dial up or down.
    You will see the option for raw conversion.
    There are many options to select from. The cool thing is you can make as many jpegs as you want and never effect the raw file.

I know youse all know this but I found this to be a very cool feature.
    It's on page 67 of the manual for those that actually read the thing.

Enjoy.....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I tried reading the manual. Struggling ...

3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    It gets easier, Armando. I think like most manuals they're not written by lay people.:wink:

Don, I'll have to check your jpeg converter out. So you must be shooting RAW completely in order for this option to work. You can't be using RAW plus JPEG. Very interesting - I can imagine someone "in the field" using this as a quick method of sending their finished photos off. Hmm, the more I learn about this camera.... Very interesting, indeed!

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Yes, that is correct...raw only.
    The camera does a fine job converting.
    I made 5 jpegs of the portrait I did of Paul...WC...
    Very interesting results.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jun Yoo

Jun Yoo SC Rookie

Jan 26, 2012
    Hi guys, Ive been out and about with the Fujifilm x100 a lot and have shot all shots with raw only, thing is the preview seen in camera has the jpeg settings preset so when I see it in camera it looks really nice but on my computer its usually underexposed and the colours do not "pop" like they do in camera. Im using Lightroom 3.4 and I can't find a way to apply the in camera settings. So using this in camera converter can I produce a jpeg from the raw tl

6. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo! Subscribing Member

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Are the in camera converted Jpg's better than the images taken in the Jpg setting?

7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Of late, I've just been shooting jpg instead of RAW and then using PS to add finishing touches... seems to me that the OOC jpgs are pretty good. Must try doing the in camera conversion though. Never even knew it existed *reaches for the manual*

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    No, they're the same. It just allows you to try different settings, including film modes, NR, sharpening, etc, for any given shot. You can process it three or four ways and choose the one you like best.

But, like Sue, I'm so happy with the jpegs coming out of this camera that I almost never shoot raw with it. And still plenty of latitude for any PP I decide to do.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  9. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    To get to the conversion menu it is a bit quicker just to press the RAW button when in playback.

10. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    Thanks for the tip reminder Don. For me, having just looked at all the on-screen options for the conversion, how do you manage any adjustments using that tiny image tucked over to the left of the menu?